Jul 26, 2011, 5:03 PM EDT
I have long questioned the utility of bench coaches. I mean, I don’t want them to go anywhere because who else is the manager gonna have a beer with after the game, but I’ve never had anyone convince me that they have much of an impact on the game itself. I guess it depends on the bench coach and what he’s asked to do.
But maybe we can get a data point tonight because Major League Baseball has just suspended Giants bench coach Ron Wotus “for his inappropriate actions, which included coming on to the field following his fourth inning ejection from his Club’s Saturday, July 23rd game against the Milwaukee Brewers at AT&T Park.”
Dear God. How will the Giants win without their bench coach?
In other news, I’m willing to bet that this is the last time we ever use a pic of Ron Wotus on HardballTalk.
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 5
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 42
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (81)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)