Jul 26, 2011, 5:03 PM EDT
I have long questioned the utility of bench coaches. I mean, I don’t want them to go anywhere because who else is the manager gonna have a beer with after the game, but I’ve never had anyone convince me that they have much of an impact on the game itself. I guess it depends on the bench coach and what he’s asked to do.
But maybe we can get a data point tonight because Major League Baseball has just suspended Giants bench coach Ron Wotus “for his inappropriate actions, which included coming on to the field following his fourth inning ejection from his Club’s Saturday, July 23rd game against the Milwaukee Brewers at AT&T Park.”
Dear God. How will the Giants win without their bench coach?
In other news, I’m willing to bet that this is the last time we ever use a pic of Ron Wotus on HardballTalk.
- 2014 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 34
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12