Jul 26, 2011, 1:02 PM EDT
I mentioned this in the recaps, but the video makes it funnier.
The Royals won the game last night on one of the uglier “squeeze plays” you’ll ever see. I quote “squeeze play” because it ended up functioning like one even though it wasn’t called. At least not as the runners-go-first suicide squeeze it ended up being. Seemed that baserunners Eric Hosmer and Jeff Francoeur missed the sign and both took off running. Since Francoeur is the superior officer, I believe he should take the fall. And for that big popup bunt, Mike Aviles should be taken out and shot.
OK, maybe not. It worked, so we’ll forgive them all.
No such forgiveness for Boston who, unlike the Royals, did have the squeeze play on last night in the bottom of the 12th. And everyone knew about it except the guy who was supposed to lay it down, Marco Scutaro. He simply missed the sign leaving baserunner Josh Reddick hung up between third and home, the winning run that never was. I suppose that pitch was so far inside that it would have been difficult to do anything with it anyway, but you figure that he’d at least foul it off.
Oh well. At least Scutaro atoned for it by immediately singling to left … and then getting thrown out at second.
Bad night for the Sox.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)