Jul 26, 2011, 1:02 PM EDT
I mentioned this in the recaps, but the video makes it funnier.
The Royals won the game last night on one of the uglier “squeeze plays” you’ll ever see. I quote “squeeze play” because it ended up functioning like one even though it wasn’t called. At least not as the runners-go-first suicide squeeze it ended up being. Seemed that baserunners Eric Hosmer and Jeff Francoeur missed the sign and both took off running. Since Francoeur is the superior officer, I believe he should take the fall. And for that big popup bunt, Mike Aviles should be taken out and shot.
OK, maybe not. It worked, so we’ll forgive them all.
No such forgiveness for Boston who, unlike the Royals, did have the squeeze play on last night in the bottom of the 12th. And everyone knew about it except the guy who was supposed to lay it down, Marco Scutaro. He simply missed the sign leaving baserunner Josh Reddick hung up between third and home, the winning run that never was. I suppose that pitch was so far inside that it would have been difficult to do anything with it anyway, but you figure that he’d at least foul it off.
Oh well. At least Scutaro atoned for it by immediately singling to left … and then getting thrown out at second.
Bad night for the Sox.
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 5
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 16
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 33
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)