Jul 26, 2011, 1:02 PM EDT
I mentioned this in the recaps, but the video makes it funnier.
The Royals won the game last night on one of the uglier “squeeze plays” you’ll ever see. I quote “squeeze play” because it ended up functioning like one even though it wasn’t called. At least not as the runners-go-first suicide squeeze it ended up being. Seemed that baserunners Eric Hosmer and Jeff Francoeur missed the sign and both took off running. Since Francoeur is the superior officer, I believe he should take the fall. And for that big popup bunt, Mike Aviles should be taken out and shot.
OK, maybe not. It worked, so we’ll forgive them all.
No such forgiveness for Boston who, unlike the Royals, did have the squeeze play on last night in the bottom of the 12th. And everyone knew about it except the guy who was supposed to lay it down, Marco Scutaro. He simply missed the sign leaving baserunner Josh Reddick hung up between third and home, the winning run that never was. I suppose that pitch was so far inside that it would have been difficult to do anything with it anyway, but you figure that he’d at least foul it off.
Oh well. At least Scutaro atoned for it by immediately singling to left … and then getting thrown out at second.
Bad night for the Sox.
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 9
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 17
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 82
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 54
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (85)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)