Jul 26, 2011, 1:02 PM EDT
I mentioned this in the recaps, but the video makes it funnier.
The Royals won the game last night on one of the uglier “squeeze plays” you’ll ever see. I quote “squeeze play” because it ended up functioning like one even though it wasn’t called. At least not as the runners-go-first suicide squeeze it ended up being. Seemed that baserunners Eric Hosmer and Jeff Francoeur missed the sign and both took off running. Since Francoeur is the superior officer, I believe he should take the fall. And for that big popup bunt, Mike Aviles should be taken out and shot.
OK, maybe not. It worked, so we’ll forgive them all.
No such forgiveness for Boston who, unlike the Royals, did have the squeeze play on last night in the bottom of the 12th. And everyone knew about it except the guy who was supposed to lay it down, Marco Scutaro. He simply missed the sign leaving baserunner Josh Reddick hung up between third and home, the winning run that never was. I suppose that pitch was so far inside that it would have been difficult to do anything with it anyway, but you figure that he’d at least foul it off.
Oh well. At least Scutaro atoned for it by immediately singling to left … and then getting thrown out at second.
Bad night for the Sox.
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 0
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 33
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 47
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 26
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 73
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)