The Sox and Royals were not exactly fundamentally sound last night

Jul 26, 2011, 1:02 PM EDT

Scutaro misses sign.bmp

I mentioned this in the recaps, but the video makes it funnier.

The Royals won the game last night on one of the uglier “squeeze plays” you’ll ever see.  I quote “squeeze play” because it ended up functioning like one even though it wasn’t called. At least not as the runners-go-first suicide squeeze it ended up being.  Seemed that baserunners Eric Hosmer and Jeff Francoeur missed the sign and both took off running. Since Francoeur is the superior officer, I believe he should take the fall.  And for that big popup bunt, Mike Aviles should be taken out and shot.

OK, maybe not. It worked, so we’ll forgive them all.

No such forgiveness for Boston who, unlike the Royals, did have the squeeze play on last night in the bottom of the 12th. And everyone knew about it except the guy who was supposed to lay it down, Marco Scutaro. He simply missed the sign leaving baserunner Josh Reddick hung up between third and home, the winning run that never was. I suppose that pitch was so far inside that it would have been difficult to do anything with it anyway, but you figure that he’d at least foul it off.

Oh well. At least Scutaro atoned for it by immediately singling to left … and then getting thrown out at second.

Bad night for the Sox.

1. aceshigh11 - Jul 26, 2011 at 1:12 PM

Oh, bloody hell…the Sox deserved to lose that game.

If the most potent offense in baseball can’t score two measly runs off the ROYALS in 14 innings…just throw in the towel.

• Tyree Studio - Jul 26, 2011 at 3:18 PM

I’m bias as a pathetic Royals fan, but I’d rather have KC’s bullpen than just about any team in baseball, so no shame in the Sox having trouble scoring after the 6th inning.

Why they didn’t get more than one “measly” run off Kyle Flipp’n Davies though is embarrassing. LOL

• royalsfaninfargo - Jul 26, 2011 at 3:38 PM

Amen brother!

2. dailyrev - Jul 26, 2011 at 1:16 PM

stayed up till 2am watching that game, and wound up asking myself: if you didn’t know who was playing, would you be able to tell the cellar-dweller from the Best Team in the AL in this game? There was so much brain-deadedness on both sides that it was easy to miss something: whoever KC had on the mound was getting the most feared lineup in MLB out. A lot. Repeatedly.

But I’m willing to wager that most Sox fans (which I’m not) found a lot to like in this zombie-game: the return of Lester with all his parts and pitches working. So it was clearly not a bad night for the Sox.

• aceshigh11 - Jul 26, 2011 at 1:43 PM

Very true. The Sox have the best record in baseball for the month of July…I suppose every team succumbs to collective fatigue once in a while.

3. dcburden - Jul 26, 2011 at 1:18 PM

Those links are both to the single-turned-out; neither is to the failed squeeze.

• Craig Calcaterra - Jul 26, 2011 at 1:21 PM

Damn, MLB.com makes it difficult to link their videos. I’ll attempt to fix.

• kopy - Jul 26, 2011 at 1:25 PM

Correct link for Red Sox squeeze play is here http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=17291187

4. dailyrev - Jul 26, 2011 at 1:20 PM

And Remy was actually amusing for a little while with his parody of announcer’s homer-isms in the extras. Problem is the game went too long for him and he kept repeating the joke, so it got old fast.

• Jack Marshall - Jul 26, 2011 at 2:02 PM

At least Remy’s homer parodies were intentional satires. the majority of MLB club broadcasters do that sort of thing for real, intentionally, all the time, with no shame or irony whatsoever. I don’t know how Boston, of all places, developed an aversion to biased announcing (I’ve always assumed it was Curt Gowdy’s influence), but I sure am grateful for it.

My favorite non-homer Sox announcer ever, Ned Martin, once said mid-game: “it’s a beautiful day in Boston, and there are still seats available, so if you are driving by Fenway park, keep on going, because trust me, you don’t want to watch this game.” I always wondered if he got in trouble for that.

5. paperlions - Jul 26, 2011 at 1:46 PM

The Cardinals had a busted suicide squeeze last night that resulted in a run scoring. McClellan missed the sign and swung away with Punto running full speed toward home….McClellan grounded out to second, Punto pissed himself and then scored.

• spudchukar - Jul 26, 2011 at 4:54 PM

Yep, not often do you see a hit-and-run play with a runner on third and one out, but after it happened, it got me to thinking that with the dearth of good bunters in the game, perhaps it has its place.

6. rsox3fan - Jul 26, 2011 at 3:10 PM

The sox should have won the game in the 13th on a line drive by Gonzalez that got under Francouer’s glove,but the ball hit him square in the shin and stopped in front of him forcing Ellsbury to stop at third.

7. randall351 - Jul 26, 2011 at 3:24 PM

Mike Aviles is by far the worst player currently employed by the Royals, I guess I should put the qualifier of position player on that, although he still might be the worst player on the Royals even without that qualifier. Kyle Davies is really starting to piss off a lot of people by being decent the past two starts, I hope he does not convince Dayton Moore to keep him around.

• Tyree Studio - Jul 26, 2011 at 3:33 PM

Agreed randal351.

I’m not a big fan of this “new” Kyle. Smoke and mirrors.

Good to see that time down in AAA helped Aviles with his fundamentals. Sigh…

Pitching duel highlights Game 1 of WS