Jul 26, 2011, 5:40 PM EDT
The Giants scratched their ace, who looked just fine at the White House yesterday, with a case of “the flu” Tuesday and moved up Barry Zito in the rotation to replace him in tonight’s showdown.
I think Lincecum just wanted to take his chances with Cole Hamels instead of the red-hot Worley. Worley has allowed one run or fewer in six straight starts, the longest such streak in the NL this season. If he can do it again tonight, he’ll match Justin Verlander for the majors’ longest streak this season.
Lincecum, on the other hand, has allowed one run or fewer in a mere five of his last six starts. He’s 8-8 with a 2.90 ERA, while Worley is 6-1 with a 2.02 ERA.
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 1
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 82
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 7
- Josh Johnson needs a second Tommy John surgery 21
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 45
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (111)