Jul 26, 2011, 5:40 PM EDT
The Giants scratched their ace, who looked just fine at the White House yesterday, with a case of “the flu” Tuesday and moved up Barry Zito in the rotation to replace him in tonight’s showdown.
I think Lincecum just wanted to take his chances with Cole Hamels instead of the red-hot Worley. Worley has allowed one run or fewer in six straight starts, the longest such streak in the NL this season. If he can do it again tonight, he’ll match Justin Verlander for the majors’ longest streak this season.
Lincecum, on the other hand, has allowed one run or fewer in a mere five of his last six starts. He’s 8-8 with a 2.90 ERA, while Worley is 6-1 with a 2.02 ERA.
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 0
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 14
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 14
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (107)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)