Jul 26, 2011, 9:25 PM EDT
UPDATE: If any deal is going to happen, it will have to wait until August. Thomas Harding of MLB.com reports that the Rockies have placed Jason Giambi on the disabled list with a left quadriceps strain.
7:00 PM: Jason Giambi didn’t feel any better Tuesday after injuring his left quad running out a grounder Monday and is expected to be placed on the disabled list, the Denver Post’s Troy Renck reports.
It’s awful timing for Giambi, who appeared set to be dealt to a contender before the deadline. The Phillies were thought to be interested in him as a pinch-hitter, and one of several AL contenders, such as the Rangers, Angels or Indians, could have had a bigger role for him.
Giambi, who has hit .264/.357/.625 with 10 homers and 24 RBI in 96 at-bats for the Rockies this season, could conceivably be traded in a waiver deal next month, but it seems unlikely that anyone will want to pick him up now and wait for him to get healthy.
- 2014 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 34
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12