Jul 26, 2011, 9:25 PM EDT
UPDATE: If any deal is going to happen, it will have to wait until August. Thomas Harding of MLB.com reports that the Rockies have placed Jason Giambi on the disabled list with a left quadriceps strain.
7:00 PM: Jason Giambi didn’t feel any better Tuesday after injuring his left quad running out a grounder Monday and is expected to be placed on the disabled list, the Denver Post’s Troy Renck reports.
It’s awful timing for Giambi, who appeared set to be dealt to a contender before the deadline. The Phillies were thought to be interested in him as a pinch-hitter, and one of several AL contenders, such as the Rangers, Angels or Indians, could have had a bigger role for him.
Giambi, who has hit .264/.357/.625 with 10 homers and 24 RBI in 96 at-bats for the Rockies this season, could conceivably be traded in a waiver deal next month, but it seems unlikely that anyone will want to pick him up now and wait for him to get healthy.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 11
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 65
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 57
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 147
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (147)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)