Jul 26, 2011, 9:25 PM EDT
UPDATE: If any deal is going to happen, it will have to wait until August. Thomas Harding of MLB.com reports that the Rockies have placed Jason Giambi on the disabled list with a left quadriceps strain.
7:00 PM: Jason Giambi didn’t feel any better Tuesday after injuring his left quad running out a grounder Monday and is expected to be placed on the disabled list, the Denver Post’s Troy Renck reports.
It’s awful timing for Giambi, who appeared set to be dealt to a contender before the deadline. The Phillies were thought to be interested in him as a pinch-hitter, and one of several AL contenders, such as the Rangers, Angels or Indians, could have had a bigger role for him.
Giambi, who has hit .264/.357/.625 with 10 homers and 24 RBI in 96 at-bats for the Rockies this season, could conceivably be traded in a waiver deal next month, but it seems unlikely that anyone will want to pick him up now and wait for him to get healthy.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 19
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 10
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 79
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 89
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (89)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)