Jul 27, 2011, 9:15 AM EDT
Inside the park homers aren’t exceedingly rare. They happen. But, as I’ve said before, they’re often kind of anti-climactic. A fielder misplays the ball, falls down or, worse, gets hurt, the ball rolls around forever and the batter makes it home standing up. A lot of inside the park homers would be called four-base errors if I was in charge of things and fielders were actually penalized for totally missing balls they should have handled. I think triples are often more exciting.
But such was not the case with Chase Utley’s inside-the-parker last night. Yes, there was a bad carom off the wall, but the fielders recovered as quickly as they could, Utley hauled ass and there was a close play at the plate. Exciting stuff.
My favorite part wasn’t the play at the plate, though. It was the goofy look on Utley’s face as he rounded third and headed for home. I think I saw his tongue sticking out like someone was taunting him with delicious, delicious pie.
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 45
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 75
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 26
- 2014 Preview: Kansas City Royals 21
- Kris Medlen expects to have another Tommy John surgery 13
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (103)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (98)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)