Jul 27, 2011, 9:15 AM EDT
Inside the park homers aren’t exceedingly rare. They happen. But, as I’ve said before, they’re often kind of anti-climactic. A fielder misplays the ball, falls down or, worse, gets hurt, the ball rolls around forever and the batter makes it home standing up. A lot of inside the park homers would be called four-base errors if I was in charge of things and fielders were actually penalized for totally missing balls they should have handled. I think triples are often more exciting.
But such was not the case with Chase Utley’s inside-the-parker last night. Yes, there was a bad carom off the wall, but the fielders recovered as quickly as they could, Utley hauled ass and there was a close play at the plate. Exciting stuff.
My favorite part wasn’t the play at the plate, though. It was the goofy look on Utley’s face as he rounded third and headed for home. I think I saw his tongue sticking out like someone was taunting him with delicious, delicious pie.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 10
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 102
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 128
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (128)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (102)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)