Jul 27, 2011, 9:15 AM EDT
Inside the park homers aren’t exceedingly rare. They happen. But, as I’ve said before, they’re often kind of anti-climactic. A fielder misplays the ball, falls down or, worse, gets hurt, the ball rolls around forever and the batter makes it home standing up. A lot of inside the park homers would be called four-base errors if I was in charge of things and fielders were actually penalized for totally missing balls they should have handled. I think triples are often more exciting.
But such was not the case with Chase Utley’s inside-the-parker last night. Yes, there was a bad carom off the wall, but the fielders recovered as quickly as they could, Utley hauled ass and there was a close play at the plate. Exciting stuff.
My favorite part wasn’t the play at the plate, though. It was the goofy look on Utley’s face as he rounded third and headed for home. I think I saw his tongue sticking out like someone was taunting him with delicious, delicious pie.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 23
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)