Chase Utley hit an inside-the-park homer

Jul 27, 2011, 9:15 AM EDT

Utley inside the parker.bmp

Inside the park homers aren’t exceedingly rare. They happen.  But, as I’ve said before, they’re often kind of anti-climactic.  A fielder misplays the ball, falls down or, worse, gets hurt, the ball rolls around forever and the batter makes it home standing up. A lot of inside the park homers would be called four-base errors if I was in charge of things and fielders were actually penalized for totally missing balls they should have handled. I think triples are often more exciting.

But such was not the case with Chase Utley’s inside-the-parker last night.  Yes, there was a bad carom off the wall, but the fielders recovered as quickly as they could, Utley hauled ass and there was a close play at the plate.  Exciting stuff.

My favorite part wasn’t the play at the plate, though. It was the goofy look on Utley’s face as he rounded third and headed for home. I think I saw his tongue sticking out like someone was taunting him with delicious, delicious pie.

1. mox19380 - Jul 27, 2011 at 9:23 AM

that one was almost identical to the inside job he had against the Reds in ’09

• kellyb9 - Jul 27, 2011 at 9:27 AM

Almost is a understatement. It looked like he hit the same spot on the wall, it bounced off the wall the same, the player misplayed it the same way, etc. It was eerie.

2. bleedgreen - Jul 27, 2011 at 9:25 AM

Chase is on a REALLY hot streak, and back to playing Chaseball 100%. .480 OPS and a .298 Avg in July. Only 4 games in July that he hasn’t been on base as well.

• kopy - Jul 27, 2011 at 9:33 AM

.480 OBP? .480 OPS is turr-bull.

• bleedgreen - Jul 27, 2011 at 9:54 AM

840 OPS sorry. Typo.

• gammagammahey - Jul 27, 2011 at 10:12 AM

Hmm, I wonder if there’s some way that you could actually have a .298 AVG and a .480 OPS. It would probably require a singles-only hitter and a hell of a lot of sac bunts and sac flies.

• Jonny 5 - Jul 27, 2011 at 10:39 AM

His OPS is 932 for July. For the season he’s just over a 1.07 OPS with men on base too. He still has some problems with lefties, but not too bad compared to other LH bats.

• Jonny 5 - Jul 27, 2011 at 10:39 AM

*.932

• bleedgreen - Jul 27, 2011 at 11:38 AM

Honestly, I have no idea where my number came from or what I typed. His OPS for the year is .870. Where 840 came from, I have no clue. Please ignore my rambling.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 27, 2011 at 11:48 AM

Meh…we all make mistakes…three different times…:P

3. bdawk20 - Jul 27, 2011 at 9:28 AM

Dead on about his expression rounding third- caught a rare wry smile on his face to boot as he was running!

4. FC - Jul 27, 2011 at 9:31 AM

Does anyone else think Schierholtz could have backed up his CF a little better> It’s like he sprinted to get the ball AFTER the Carom… Anyway Fontenot threw slightly off line, that also helped. Wow, tiny tiny variables that had they gone differently Chase might have been out. He also slid headfirst, without that I don’t think he’s safe… unless he does a Willie Mays Hayes aerial dive or a high jump since the catcher wasn’t standing.

5. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jul 27, 2011 at 9:32 AM

Excellent pie reference. I’m sure the cake-loving hair atop Utley’s head would agree.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 27, 2011 at 11:25 AM

No such thing, oh beneficiary of Meals.

6. gvots - Jul 27, 2011 at 9:34 AM

Only cake could inspire that kind of hustle.

• FC - Jul 27, 2011 at 9:39 AM

Agreed. The Team was in the dugout with cake slices served on small plates showing them to Chase as he rounded third.

• proudlycanadian - Jul 27, 2011 at 9:48 AM

Thumbs up to cake.

• Jonny 5 - Jul 27, 2011 at 10:31 AM

This shows how much you guys know about the order of things, it’s always Pie, ice cream, cake. In that order. Now if anyone knows this, It’s Chase Utley,as evidenced by the following.

• FC - Jul 27, 2011 at 11:03 AM

Jonny, don’t hate the Cake, the Cake forgives you for your sins…

• Utley's Hair - Jul 27, 2011 at 11:22 AM

No it doesn’t. The CAKE is vindictive, and it has taken the names of the piebabies, and when Good wins out over Evil in the endtimes, the CAKE will smite down all detractors. And pie will cease to exist.

• Jonny 5 - Jul 27, 2011 at 11:44 AM

Utley’s Hair, is all the cake is good for, styling aid, But Chase saves the Pie for eatin’, he says so himself. Pie is the victor ,and it makes chase do things, like this!

• Utley's Hair - Jul 27, 2011 at 11:23 AM

You’re damn straight. CAKE always wins out—especially over (pie).

7. seanmk - Jul 27, 2011 at 10:08 AM

when the ball hit the wall i jumped up because i thought in inside the park home run was possible because that’s the spot in the ballpark people misplay. Utley said after the gmae that his legs gave out on him as he got to third base, thus the face.

8. gallaghedj311 - Jul 27, 2011 at 10:18 AM

Utley hit an inside the park homeric and hours later I broke my 690 day abstinence streak. Thanks Chase!’

• bleedgreen - Jul 27, 2011 at 10:31 AM

Chase cures all maladies.

• stevejeltzjehricurl - Jul 27, 2011 at 11:35 AM

I’m really glad only the home run is on tape. And if the other one is on tape, I don’t want to know.

• Jonny 5 - Jul 27, 2011 at 11:45 AM

After 2 years of waiting, it couldn’t take up too much tape anyway.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 27, 2011 at 11:46 AM

Ever see American Pie? ‘Nuff said.

9. hardballbalk - Jul 27, 2011 at 11:50 AM

In all honesty, I don’t think I’ve seen a better one. Not one I can remember.

10. Utley's Hair - Jul 27, 2011 at 11:58 AM

“Chase Utley, you ARE the man!!!!”
    —Harry the K

11. thewizardsrevenge - Jul 27, 2011 at 12:26 PM

I’ve been to very few games in my life, but in 77 I saw Schmidt get one and almost get two in the same game. (thrown out at home)

Glad to see Chase’s on TV, it always reminds me of 77.

12. macjacmccoy - Jul 27, 2011 at 5:05 PM

My favorite part was after he was called safe and Howard was giving him a high five and Utley gave him this cocky ass head roll. I havent seen Utley react like that since “World F’in Champions”

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (4102)