Jul 27, 2011, 12:03 PM EDT
UPDATE: Sure enough, Jackson appears headed to St. Louis for Rasmus.
The deal sending Edwin Jackson and Mark Teahen to the Blue Jays for Jason Frasor and pitching prospect Zach Stewart is official, with Jackson learning of his fate after entering the White Sox clubhouse moments ago.
However, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com and various other sources the trade may actually be expanding to include the Cardinals, with Jackson heading to St. Louis and Colby Rasmus ending up in Toronto.
Rasmus leaving the Cardinals is expected at this point, but Blue Jays general manager Alex Anthopoulos somehow getting a 24-year-old center fielder with huge upside in a deal that essentially has him parting with a good but not great 33-year-old reliever (Frasor) and a mid-level prospect (Stewart) would be an amazing move.
So good, in fact, that it’s tough to imagine Anthopoulos being able to pull it off without sending another prospect or something else of decent value to St. Louis. For now Jackson is Blue Jays property, but it sure looks like he’s not long for Toronto.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (87)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)