Jul 27, 2011, 12:03 PM EDT
UPDATE: Sure enough, Jackson appears headed to St. Louis for Rasmus.
The deal sending Edwin Jackson and Mark Teahen to the Blue Jays for Jason Frasor and pitching prospect Zach Stewart is official, with Jackson learning of his fate after entering the White Sox clubhouse moments ago.
However, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com and various other sources the trade may actually be expanding to include the Cardinals, with Jackson heading to St. Louis and Colby Rasmus ending up in Toronto.
Rasmus leaving the Cardinals is expected at this point, but Blue Jays general manager Alex Anthopoulos somehow getting a 24-year-old center fielder with huge upside in a deal that essentially has him parting with a good but not great 33-year-old reliever (Frasor) and a mid-level prospect (Stewart) would be an amazing move.
So good, in fact, that it’s tough to imagine Anthopoulos being able to pull it off without sending another prospect or something else of decent value to St. Louis. For now Jackson is Blue Jays property, but it sure looks like he’s not long for Toronto.
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 17
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 25
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 105
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8