Jul 27, 2011, 5:30 PM EDT
This saddens me. Oh, it was inevitable — Stairs is 43 and is hitting .154/.257/.169 with no homers — but it strikes me that this may very well be it for the formerly-bemulleted one. Depending on how you count Montreal and Washington, Stairs played for 12 or 13 teams in his 19-year career.
For that career he’s a .262/.356/.477 hitter with 265 homers. Unless someone becomes really desperate for a lefty in the twilight, that may be it.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 238
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 141
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (250)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (156)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)