Jul 27, 2011, 5:30 PM EST
This saddens me. Oh, it was inevitable — Stairs is 43 and is hitting .154/.257/.169 with no homers — but it strikes me that this may very well be it for the formerly-bemulleted one. Depending on how you count Montreal and Washington, Stairs played for 12 or 13 teams in his 19-year career.
For that career he’s a .262/.356/.477 hitter with 265 homers. Unless someone becomes really desperate for a lefty in the twilight, that may be it.
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 1
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 1
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 341
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (343)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Report: Josh Hamilton could get a suspension of “at least 25 games” (71)