Jul 27, 2011, 2:46 PM EDT
– Ervin Santana threw the ninth no-hitter in Angels history. The others:
Bo Belinsky – May 5, 1962 versus the Orioles
Clyde Wright – July 3, 1970 versus the Athletics
Nolan Ryan – May 15, 1973 versus the Royals
Nolan Ryan – July 15, 1973 versus the Tigers
Nolan Ryan – Sept. 28, 1974 versus the Twins
Nolan Ryan – June 1, 1975 versus the Orioles
Mike Witt – Sept. 30, 1984 versus the Rangers (perfect game)
Mark Langston-Mike Witt – April 11, 1990 versus the Mariners
Of course, the Mets, who debuted one year after the Angels in 1962, still don’t have a single no-hitter. Maybe things would have turned out differently had they kept that Ryan kid.
– It was the first nine-inning no-hitter in which the pitcher gave up a run since Houston’s Darryl Kile beat the Mets 7-1 on Sept. 8, 1993.
Interestingly enough, the Angels themselves had an eight-inning no-hitter in a 1-0 loss to the Dodgers on June 28, 2008. Jered Weaver threw the first six innings in that one, giving up an unearned run. Chad Billingsley shut the Angels out, giving the Dodgers a win in a game in which they were outhit 5-0.
– The win today was Santana’s first in 11 career starts against the Indians. He had been 0-6 with a 4.98 ERA versus Cleveland.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 70
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 84
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 64
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)