Jul 27, 2011, 2:46 PM EDT
- Ervin Santana threw the ninth no-hitter in Angels history. The others:
Bo Belinsky – May 5, 1962 versus the Orioles
Clyde Wright – July 3, 1970 versus the Athletics
Nolan Ryan – May 15, 1973 versus the Royals
Nolan Ryan – July 15, 1973 versus the Tigers
Nolan Ryan – Sept. 28, 1974 versus the Twins
Nolan Ryan – June 1, 1975 versus the Orioles
Mike Witt – Sept. 30, 1984 versus the Rangers (perfect game)
Mark Langston-Mike Witt – April 11, 1990 versus the Mariners
Of course, the Mets, who debuted one year after the Angels in 1962, still don’t have a single no-hitter. Maybe things would have turned out differently had they kept that Ryan kid.
- It was the first nine-inning no-hitter in which the pitcher gave up a run since Houston’s Darryl Kile beat the Mets 7-1 on Sept. 8, 1993.
Interestingly enough, the Angels themselves had an eight-inning no-hitter in a 1-0 loss to the Dodgers on June 28, 2008. Jered Weaver threw the first six innings in that one, giving up an unearned run. Chad Billingsley shut the Angels out, giving the Dodgers a win in a game in which they were outhit 5-0.
- The win today was Santana’s first in 11 career starts against the Indians. He had been 0-6 with a 4.98 ERA versus Cleveland.
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 7
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (104)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)