Jul 27, 2011, 2:46 PM EDT
- Ervin Santana threw the ninth no-hitter in Angels history. The others:
Bo Belinsky – May 5, 1962 versus the Orioles
Clyde Wright – July 3, 1970 versus the Athletics
Nolan Ryan – May 15, 1973 versus the Royals
Nolan Ryan – July 15, 1973 versus the Tigers
Nolan Ryan – Sept. 28, 1974 versus the Twins
Nolan Ryan – June 1, 1975 versus the Orioles
Mike Witt – Sept. 30, 1984 versus the Rangers (perfect game)
Mark Langston-Mike Witt – April 11, 1990 versus the Mariners
Of course, the Mets, who debuted one year after the Angels in 1962, still don’t have a single no-hitter. Maybe things would have turned out differently had they kept that Ryan kid.
- It was the first nine-inning no-hitter in which the pitcher gave up a run since Houston’s Darryl Kile beat the Mets 7-1 on Sept. 8, 1993.
Interestingly enough, the Angels themselves had an eight-inning no-hitter in a 1-0 loss to the Dodgers on June 28, 2008. Jered Weaver threw the first six innings in that one, giving up an unearned run. Chad Billingsley shut the Angels out, giving the Dodgers a win in a game in which they were outhit 5-0.
- The win today was Santana’s first in 11 career starts against the Indians. He had been 0-6 with a 4.98 ERA versus Cleveland.
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 18
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 29
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 19
- Frank Torre: 1931-2014 6
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 46
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball 86
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use 92
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (86)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)