Jul 27, 2011, 11:06 PM EST
The Giants will also option Brandon Belt back to Triple-A Fresno to clear a spot on the 25-man roster. Dumping Burrell clears a spot on the 40-man roster.
Burrell, 34, signed a one-year, $1 million free agent contract with San Francisco this winter. As of Wednesday, he’s batting just .233/.342/.419 on the year with seven home runs and 21 RBI in 80 games.
A few teams may be open to giving Burrell a minor league deal, but he’s doubtful to land with a contender.
UPDATE: Well, forget all that. According to Hank Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle, Burrell, who is currently on the 15-day disabled list, will not be released Thursday.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 31
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 34
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 116
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 46
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)