Jul 27, 2011, 11:06 PM EDT
The Giants will also option Brandon Belt back to Triple-A Fresno to clear a spot on the 25-man roster. Dumping Burrell clears a spot on the 40-man roster.
Burrell, 34, signed a one-year, $1 million free agent contract with San Francisco this winter. As of Wednesday, he’s batting just .233/.342/.419 on the year with seven home runs and 21 RBI in 80 games.
A few teams may be open to giving Burrell a minor league deal, but he’s doubtful to land with a contender.
UPDATE: Well, forget all that. According to Hank Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle, Burrell, who is currently on the 15-day disabled list, will not be released Thursday.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)