Jul 27, 2011, 11:06 PM EST
The Giants will also option Brandon Belt back to Triple-A Fresno to clear a spot on the 25-man roster. Dumping Burrell clears a spot on the 40-man roster.
Burrell, 34, signed a one-year, $1 million free agent contract with San Francisco this winter. As of Wednesday, he’s batting just .233/.342/.419 on the year with seven home runs and 21 RBI in 80 games.
A few teams may be open to giving Burrell a minor league deal, but he’s doubtful to land with a contender.
UPDATE: Well, forget all that. According to Hank Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle, Burrell, who is currently on the 15-day disabled list, will not be released Thursday.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)