Jul 27, 2011, 11:06 PM EDT
The Giants will also option Brandon Belt back to Triple-A Fresno to clear a spot on the 25-man roster. Dumping Burrell clears a spot on the 40-man roster.
Burrell, 34, signed a one-year, $1 million free agent contract with San Francisco this winter. As of Wednesday, he’s batting just .233/.342/.419 on the year with seven home runs and 21 RBI in 80 games.
A few teams may be open to giving Burrell a minor league deal, but he’s doubtful to land with a contender.
UPDATE: Well, forget all that. According to Hank Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle, Burrell, who is currently on the 15-day disabled list, will not be released Thursday.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 14
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 21
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 39
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)