Jul 27, 2011, 11:06 PM EDT
The Giants will also option Brandon Belt back to Triple-A Fresno to clear a spot on the 25-man roster. Dumping Burrell clears a spot on the 40-man roster.
Burrell, 34, signed a one-year, $1 million free agent contract with San Francisco this winter. As of Wednesday, he’s batting just .233/.342/.419 on the year with seven home runs and 21 RBI in 80 games.
A few teams may be open to giving Burrell a minor league deal, but he’s doubtful to land with a contender.
UPDATE: Well, forget all that. According to Hank Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle, Burrell, who is currently on the 15-day disabled list, will not be released Thursday.
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 14
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 12
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 29
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 16
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 61
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (144)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (94)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)