Jul 27, 2011, 6:40 PM EDT
It took Hanley Ramirez some time to decide how to respond to Jeff Conine’s radio show comments last week, but he came out swinging Wednesday, calling Conine a “chicken” and saying that he wants to supplant the former first baseman as “Mr. Marlin.”
Conine, who is employed by the Marlins as a special assistant to team president David Samson, said Friday that Ramirez frustrates him nightly and that he’d probably trade the shortstop if it were up to him.
Ramirez said Wednesday that Conine should have addressed his comments to the shortstop personally, rather than taking it to the airwaves.
The Miami Herald has the quotes.
“If he’s got a problem, just come over and talk to me like a man,” Ramirez said. “Don’t be a chicken, talking on the (radio), because whatever you say is going to stay out there.”
Ramirez said his goal now is to take over as Mr. Marlin, a nickname given to Conine during his eight years with the club.
“I’m going to make it to the Hall of Fame being in a Marlins uniform,” he said. “This number (No. 2), nobody’s going to wear it.”
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 23
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 4
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 6
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 29
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 31
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 20
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)