Jul 27, 2011, 6:15 PM EDT
With trade rumors swirling, Hunter Pence is on the Astros bench on Wednesday night. However, it’s not because he’s been dealt, says the Houston Chronicle’s Zachary Levine.
Pence, mired in a 7-for-40 skid since the All-Star break, was told Tuesday that he’d get tonight off.
Pence has just one extra-base hit and two RBI in 11 games since his All-Star appearance. He had 17 doubles, eight homers and 43 RBI in 55 games during April and May, but he has just seven doubles, three homers and 19 RBI in 42 games since.
Still, Pence’s trade value remains sky-high. The Astros reportedly backed out of a deal with the Phillies that might have included two top prospects in right-hander Jarred Cosart and first baseman Jonathan Singleton. The Braves could also redouble their efforts to land the right fielder after losing Brian McCann to the disabled list.
The Astros still appear unlikely to deal Pence, preferring instead to discuss starting pitchers Brett Myers and Wandy Rodriguez. Still, given the dearth of talent in the organization, they’d be foolish to rule anything out.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 41
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 58
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 79
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 66
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)