Jul 27, 2011, 6:15 PM EDT
With trade rumors swirling, Hunter Pence is on the Astros bench on Wednesday night. However, it’s not because he’s been dealt, says the Houston Chronicle’s Zachary Levine.
Pence, mired in a 7-for-40 skid since the All-Star break, was told Tuesday that he’d get tonight off.
Pence has just one extra-base hit and two RBI in 11 games since his All-Star appearance. He had 17 doubles, eight homers and 43 RBI in 55 games during April and May, but he has just seven doubles, three homers and 19 RBI in 42 games since.
Still, Pence’s trade value remains sky-high. The Astros reportedly backed out of a deal with the Phillies that might have included two top prospects in right-hander Jarred Cosart and first baseman Jonathan Singleton. The Braves could also redouble their efforts to land the right fielder after losing Brian McCann to the disabled list.
The Astros still appear unlikely to deal Pence, preferring instead to discuss starting pitchers Brett Myers and Wandy Rodriguez. Still, given the dearth of talent in the organization, they’d be foolish to rule anything out.
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 9
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 14
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 75
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 52
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (277)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)