Jul 27, 2011, 6:15 PM EDT
With trade rumors swirling, Hunter Pence is on the Astros bench on Wednesday night. However, it’s not because he’s been dealt, says the Houston Chronicle’s Zachary Levine.
Pence, mired in a 7-for-40 skid since the All-Star break, was told Tuesday that he’d get tonight off.
Pence has just one extra-base hit and two RBI in 11 games since his All-Star appearance. He had 17 doubles, eight homers and 43 RBI in 55 games during April and May, but he has just seven doubles, three homers and 19 RBI in 42 games since.
Still, Pence’s trade value remains sky-high. The Astros reportedly backed out of a deal with the Phillies that might have included two top prospects in right-hander Jarred Cosart and first baseman Jonathan Singleton. The Braves could also redouble their efforts to land the right fielder after losing Brian McCann to the disabled list.
The Astros still appear unlikely to deal Pence, preferring instead to discuss starting pitchers Brett Myers and Wandy Rodriguez. Still, given the dearth of talent in the organization, they’d be foolish to rule anything out.
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 1
- Wild Card Game: Giants vs. Pirates lineups 4
- The beauty of belief 36
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 41
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)