Jul 27, 2011, 7:32 PM EST
The Rockies are asking the moon for starter Ubaldo Jimenez, which they have the right to do given his recent success and team-friendly contract. But the Yankees don’t seem interested in unloading their farm system, and neither do the Red Sox and Reds.
Perhaps a different suitor will yield a match.
According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, the Indians have joined the hunt for Jimenez and are believed to be “strongly in the mix” to land him.
Cleveland is aiming to make a high-impact deal at this week’s deadline in order to remain afloat in the American League Central. The Tribe even made a hard run at Carlos Beltran before he nixed the trade.
Jimenez, 27, has registered an underwhelming 4.20 ERA and 1.34 WHIP through 122 innings this season, but he was a legitimate ace in 2010 for Colorado and is owed only $4.2 million in 2012. His contract also includes inexpensive options for 2013 ($5.75 million, $1 million buyout) and 2014 ($8 million, $1 million buyout).
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 25
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 80
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 14
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 143
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)