Jul 27, 2011, 7:32 PM EDT
The Rockies are asking the moon for starter Ubaldo Jimenez, which they have the right to do given his recent success and team-friendly contract. But the Yankees don’t seem interested in unloading their farm system, and neither do the Red Sox and Reds.
Perhaps a different suitor will yield a match.
According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, the Indians have joined the hunt for Jimenez and are believed to be “strongly in the mix” to land him.
Cleveland is aiming to make a high-impact deal at this week’s deadline in order to remain afloat in the American League Central. The Tribe even made a hard run at Carlos Beltran before he nixed the trade.
Jimenez, 27, has registered an underwhelming 4.20 ERA and 1.34 WHIP through 122 innings this season, but he was a legitimate ace in 2010 for Colorado and is owed only $4.2 million in 2012. His contract also includes inexpensive options for 2013 ($5.75 million, $1 million buyout) and 2014 ($8 million, $1 million buyout).
- Mike Trout hits for cycle in Angels’ rout of Mariners 0
- Kevin Gausman will make Orioles debut on Thursday 2
- Cubs activate Matt Garza for first start in 10 months 0
- Thanks to Jeff Loria, Miami gets shut out of the Super Bowl 20
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. 116
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (116)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (104)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (73)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- HBT: Angels' Trout hits for cycle against Mariners