Jul 27, 2011, 11:33 AM EST
Strange tweet from Buster Olney a little while ago. He says that the Cleveland Indians have walked away from talks with the Mets over Carlos Beltran because they are convinced that Beltan’s agent — Scott Boras — is “controlling the process.”
Hmm. On the one hand, if there is an agent who would try to control the process, it would be Boras. On the other hand, this could be Cleveland’s way of voicing displeasure over talks that weren’t going the way they liked. Maybe they’re using Boras as a handy excuse. Such a cover story would certainly help quell any fan grumbling if and when the Indians fail to land a bat at the deadline.
One thing that has occurred to me, however, is that if Boras is controlling the process somehow, it may make a possible trade to Atlanta complicated. The Braves were already thought to be heavily involved in trade talks, and you’d figure their interest would only intensify now that they’ve lost their best hitter for an extended period. However, the Braves’ front office happens to have some pretty negative feelings for Scott Boras. Current GM Frank Wren less than John Schuerholz used to have — Schuerholz reportedly vowed to never deal with Boras again — but it’s not like Schuerholz isn’t still hanging around the office.
Probably much ado about nothing — Boras is an easy boogeyman — but interesting all the same.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)