Jul 27, 2011, 10:15 AM EST
Johan Santana‘s plans for this week have changed several times–or at least reports of his plans have changed several times–but now he’s officially scheduled to begin a minor-league rehab assignment with a start tomorrow at high Single-A.
That will start the 30-day clock on his rehab stint, which means barring a setback Santana is on track to return from the disabled list by August 28, which would be just over 11 months since shoulder surgery.
Adam Rubin of ESPN New York reports that Santana will throw around 45 pitches in his first outing since beating the Braves with five innings of one-run ball on September 2 of last season.
Presumably he’ll make a handful of rehab starts, gradually building back his arm strength and increasing his pitch count, and then rejoin the Mets’ rotation for a half-dozen or so starts down the stretch. Santana is owed $55 million for the next two seasons, so the primary goal for the Mets should be getting him healthy and ready for 2012.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 82
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)