Jul 27, 2011, 8:50 AM EDT
Justin Germano of my hometown Columbus Clippers threw a perfect game last night. The victims: the Syracuse Chiefs.
He struck out seven in what was the first perfect game in Columbus Clippers history and only the fifth in the history of the International League. Which kind of makes sense when you realize that guys are in the International League because either (a) they’re prospects that the big club doesn’t really want to see throwing complete games and the number of pitches those entail; or (b) they aren’t fabulous pitchers and have a hard time getting guys out.
Germano is closer to the latter than the former. At 28, he’s had a pretty undistinguished run in parts of six seasons in the big leagues. Before last night he wasn’t even doing all that hot at AAA.
But now he has an accomplishment that he’ll remember for the rest of his life.
- Carlos Gomez diagnosed with sprained wrist 3
- Michael Wacha to start Thursday for the Cardinals 4
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 51
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 50
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 37
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 61
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 48
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (221)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (76)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)