Jul 27, 2011, 8:50 AM EST
Justin Germano of my hometown Columbus Clippers threw a perfect game last night. The victims: the Syracuse Chiefs.
He struck out seven in what was the first perfect game in Columbus Clippers history and only the fifth in the history of the International League. Which kind of makes sense when you realize that guys are in the International League because either (a) they’re prospects that the big club doesn’t really want to see throwing complete games and the number of pitches those entail; or (b) they aren’t fabulous pitchers and have a hard time getting guys out.
Germano is closer to the latter than the former. At 28, he’s had a pretty undistinguished run in parts of six seasons in the big leagues. Before last night he wasn’t even doing all that hot at AAA.
But now he has an accomplishment that he’ll remember for the rest of his life.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (373)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (92)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)