Jul 27, 2011, 8:50 AM EDT
Justin Germano of my hometown Columbus Clippers threw a perfect game last night. The victims: the Syracuse Chiefs.
He struck out seven in what was the first perfect game in Columbus Clippers history and only the fifth in the history of the International League. Which kind of makes sense when you realize that guys are in the International League because either (a) they’re prospects that the big club doesn’t really want to see throwing complete games and the number of pitches those entail; or (b) they aren’t fabulous pitchers and have a hard time getting guys out.
Germano is closer to the latter than the former. At 28, he’s had a pretty undistinguished run in parts of six seasons in the big leagues. Before last night he wasn’t even doing all that hot at AAA.
But now he has an accomplishment that he’ll remember for the rest of his life.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (86)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)