Jul 27, 2011, 8:50 AM EDT
Justin Germano of my hometown Columbus Clippers threw a perfect game last night. The victims: the Syracuse Chiefs.
He struck out seven in what was the first perfect game in Columbus Clippers history and only the fifth in the history of the International League. Which kind of makes sense when you realize that guys are in the International League because either (a) they’re prospects that the big club doesn’t really want to see throwing complete games and the number of pitches those entail; or (b) they aren’t fabulous pitchers and have a hard time getting guys out.
Germano is closer to the latter than the former. At 28, he’s had a pretty undistinguished run in parts of six seasons in the big leagues. Before last night he wasn’t even doing all that hot at AAA.
But now he has an accomplishment that he’ll remember for the rest of his life.
- Live Extra: Watch Blackhawks-Red Wings Game 3
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Dickey goes 8, beats Rays for 2nd straight win
- PST: Mourinho officially leaving Real Madrid
- PHT: Stalberg returns to Hawks' lineup for Game 3
- PHT: Hawks look to boost intensity vs. Wings
- PFT: Brady says he's 'never felt better' throwing the ball