Jul 27, 2011, 4:16 PM EDT
Team president Frank Coonelly handled things about as well as possible after the Pirates lost in the 19th inning on Jerry Meals’ call at the plate last night, filing an official protest with MLB and issuing a statement saying “he made the wrong call” without ripping into the veteran umpire too much.
However, apparently not everyone in Pittsburgh is handling the situation so well.
Meals’ daughter told Amy K. Nelson of ESPN.com that their family has been harassed and Nelson reports that MLB security is “investigating apparent threats made against the family” that include “calls made to the family and people showing up at the Meals’ home.”
- Bud Selig’s view on replay has “evolved” 0
- Umpires use replay on controversial Matt Joyce home run 4
- Rangers put Ian Kinsler on the 15-day disabled list and call up top prospect Jurickson Profar 3
- Carlos Ruiz leaves game with strained right hamstring 1
- Andrew McCutchen scratched from Pirates’ starting lineup 5