Jul 27, 2011, 4:16 PM EST
Team president Frank Coonelly handled things about as well as possible after the Pirates lost in the 19th inning on Jerry Meals’ call at the plate last night, filing an official protest with MLB and issuing a statement saying “he made the wrong call” without ripping into the veteran umpire too much.
However, apparently not everyone in Pittsburgh is handling the situation so well.
Meals’ daughter told Amy K. Nelson of ESPN.com that their family has been harassed and Nelson reports that MLB security is “investigating apparent threats made against the family” that include “calls made to the family and people showing up at the Meals’ home.”
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 51
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 24