Jul 27, 2011, 2:27 PM EDT
UPDATE: He did it! Ervin Santana throws a no-hitter against the Cleveland Indians!
The one run allowed aside — unearned, of course — Santana was highly effective, striking out ten, flashing some electric stuff. It was his 11th career start against the Indians — the team against whom he made his debut — and it was his first-ever win against them. The final out came on a Michael Brantley fly to center.
Santana’s was the first Angels no-hitter since Mark Langston and Mike Witt combined to no-hit Seattle on April 11, 1990. It was the ninth overall in franchise history. Four of them were by Nolan Ryan, natch.
Congratulations Ervin Santana!
UPDATE: Hmm, forgot the no-hitter the Angels lost to the Dodgers back in 2008! That was a combined job too, with Jered Weaver and Jose Arredondo doing the hard work and getting no support for it.
2:10PM: Make that a no-no through eight. Santana is three outs away.
2:00PM: The Indians and the Angels got underway early and are into the top of the eighth inning at this writing. Through seven, Angels starter Ervin Santana has no-hit the Indians.
It’s not a perfect game. And actually, by virtue of an error, some small ball and a wild pitch, it’s not even a shutout. But Santana hasn’t allowed a hit yet and the Angels lead 2-1. We’ll let you know if that changes.
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 0
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 14
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 11
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 37
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 181
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 74
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 38
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (181)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)