Jul 27, 2011, 2:27 PM EDT
UPDATE: He did it! Ervin Santana throws a no-hitter against the Cleveland Indians!
The one run allowed aside — unearned, of course — Santana was highly effective, striking out ten, flashing some electric stuff. It was his 11th career start against the Indians — the team against whom he made his debut — and it was his first-ever win against them. The final out came on a Michael Brantley fly to center.
Santana’s was the first Angels no-hitter since Mark Langston and Mike Witt combined to no-hit Seattle on April 11, 1990. It was the ninth overall in franchise history. Four of them were by Nolan Ryan, natch.
Congratulations Ervin Santana!
UPDATE: Hmm, forgot the no-hitter the Angels lost to the Dodgers back in 2008! That was a combined job too, with Jered Weaver and Jose Arredondo doing the hard work and getting no support for it.
2:10PM: Make that a no-no through eight. Santana is three outs away.
2:00PM: The Indians and the Angels got underway early and are into the top of the eighth inning at this writing. Through seven, Angels starter Ervin Santana has no-hit the Indians.
It’s not a perfect game. And actually, by virtue of an error, some small ball and a wild pitch, it’s not even a shutout. But Santana hasn’t allowed a hit yet and the Angels lead 2-1. We’ll let you know if that changes.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 18
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)