Jul 27, 2011, 2:27 PM EDT
UPDATE: He did it! Ervin Santana throws a no-hitter against the Cleveland Indians!
The one run allowed aside — unearned, of course — Santana was highly effective, striking out ten, flashing some electric stuff. It was his 11th career start against the Indians — the team against whom he made his debut — and it was his first-ever win against them. The final out came on a Michael Brantley fly to center.
Santana’s was the first Angels no-hitter since Mark Langston and Mike Witt combined to no-hit Seattle on April 11, 1990. It was the ninth overall in franchise history. Four of them were by Nolan Ryan, natch.
Congratulations Ervin Santana!
UPDATE: Hmm, forgot the no-hitter the Angels lost to the Dodgers back in 2008! That was a combined job too, with Jered Weaver and Jose Arredondo doing the hard work and getting no support for it.
2:10PM: Make that a no-no through eight. Santana is three outs away.
2:00PM: The Indians and the Angels got underway early and are into the top of the eighth inning at this writing. Through seven, Angels starter Ervin Santana has no-hit the Indians.
It’s not a perfect game. And actually, by virtue of an error, some small ball and a wild pitch, it’s not even a shutout. But Santana hasn’t allowed a hit yet and the Angels lead 2-1. We’ll let you know if that changes.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 20
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 17
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)