Jul 27, 2011, 2:27 PM EDT
UPDATE: He did it! Ervin Santana throws a no-hitter against the Cleveland Indians!
The one run allowed aside — unearned, of course — Santana was highly effective, striking out ten, flashing some electric stuff. It was his 11th career start against the Indians — the team against whom he made his debut — and it was his first-ever win against them. The final out came on a Michael Brantley fly to center.
Santana’s was the first Angels no-hitter since Mark Langston and Mike Witt combined to no-hit Seattle on April 11, 1990. It was the ninth overall in franchise history. Four of them were by Nolan Ryan, natch.
Congratulations Ervin Santana!
UPDATE: Hmm, forgot the no-hitter the Angels lost to the Dodgers back in 2008! That was a combined job too, with Jered Weaver and Jose Arredondo doing the hard work and getting no support for it.
2:10PM: Make that a no-no through eight. Santana is three outs away.
2:00PM: The Indians and the Angels got underway early and are into the top of the eighth inning at this writing. Through seven, Angels starter Ervin Santana has no-hit the Indians.
It’s not a perfect game. And actually, by virtue of an error, some small ball and a wild pitch, it’s not even a shutout. But Santana hasn’t allowed a hit yet and the Angels lead 2-1. We’ll let you know if that changes.
- Reds hope to get Joey Votto back for the “stretch run” 6
- Jean Segura leaves Brewers following the death of his nine-month-old son 47
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 32
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 63
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 50
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 80
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 114
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (191)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (114)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)