Quote of the Day: Sergio Romo likes Obama

Jul 27, 2011, 1:00 PM EDT

Obama First Pitch

Segio Romo met the President the other day.  He was impressed:

“He’s a cool cat. He was more human than I thought he would be. I was definitely surprised how normal the president of the United States is. He wasn’t as tall as I thought he’d be, as a basketball-fanatic type of guy. But he’s still taller than I am.”

As soon as Romo said that, Luke Scott offered the official response from the opposition, saying “he is not a cool cat, but a mangy dog, and he is not human or normal at all. He is as alien as a Tralfamadorian.”

When it was pointed out to Scott that he referenced Kurt Vonnegut he spontaneously combusted.  So it goes.

1. Old Gator - Jul 27, 2011 at 1:29 PM

Can you imagine the nerve of Romo, gratuitously dragging politics into a baseball blog?

And if Scott spontaneously combusted, it must have started with his head, which is mostly balsa wood.

• natstowngreg - Jul 27, 2011 at 1:51 PM

IF Romo had actually mentioned his political views, they would interest me exactly as much as Luke Scott’s. That is, not at all. The First Amendment means that jocks have the right to express their opinions, and I have the right to ignore them.

Romo does make me jealous, because as a Faceless Bureaucrat in Washington for over 30 years, I’ve never met a President. Saw the current one at a Nats-White Sox game last year, wearing a White Sox cap. But there were a couple sections of seats and several Secret Service agents between me and actually meeting him. He looked cool. Bet John Boehner even thinks he’s cool.

• Old Gator - Jul 27, 2011 at 4:03 PM

How can it be that the founding fathers, who were so preternaturally longsighted about everything else, actually let the constitution slip by without a codicil limiting the rights of professional athletes to discuss politics? Couldn’t they see athletic scholarships coming???

2. 18thstreet - Jul 27, 2011 at 1:37 PM

“More human than I thought he’d be.” Huh.

Politicians only get elected based in part on their ability to connect with regular people. I’m always amazed when people say how nice their representatives are. I’m a professional lobbyist, and I have rather specific political preferences. But almost all politicians are really nice guys when you meet them for the first time. That’s why you should look at how they vote, not what they say.

• Old Gator - Jul 27, 2011 at 4:04 PM

Of course they’re “nice when you first meet them.” They think you have a check for them.

• skids003 - Jul 27, 2011 at 4:11 PM

Great post, right on the money. Unfortunately, very few do that. I had two women in my office in 1992 who voted for Clinton over Bush Sr, and when I asked why, they said,” He’s better looking.” And were serious. What more can you say?

• Old Gator - Jul 27, 2011 at 5:21 PM

How about, “my, but that’s a lovely blue dress you’re wearing”?

3. Utley's Hair - Jul 27, 2011 at 2:29 PM

“he is not a cool cat, but a mangy dog, and he is not human or normal at all. He is as alien as a Tralfamadorian.” Now look at this picture of a 10-point buck I hunted down in that cage over there.

4. foreverchipper10 - Jul 27, 2011 at 5:09 PM

I would have read all the comments but I had to go steal a mirror.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5395)