Jul 27, 2011, 12:46 PM EST
Sounds like the other shoe is about to drop.
According to Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post Dispatch the Blue Jays have agreed to flip Edwin Jackson to the Cardinals along with relievers Octavio Dotel and Marc Rzepczynski for center fielder Colby Rasmus. Buster Olney of ESPN.com says Toronto will also get Trever Miller, Brian Tallet, and P.J. Walters, while Corey Patterson is included in the package heading to St. Louis.
Jackson was acquired this morning from the White Sox along with Mark Teahen for Jason Frasor and Zach Stewart, so this is essentially a three-team trade with the Blue Jays kicking in a little something extra to make the second part work.
Rasmus’ ongoing feud with manager Tony La Russa made it clear that he wasn’t destined to be a fixture in St. Louis, but the Cardinals appear to be selling very low on a 24-year-old center fielder with elite upside.
Jackson is a solid mid-rotation starter, but he’s also a free agent after the season. Dotel is a solid setup man, but he’s also 37 years old. And if Marc Rzepczynski is the biggest long-term piece acquired in exchange for Rasmus … well, general manager John Mozeliak has some explaining to do.
Maybe time will show that Rasmus feuding with La Russa was a sign of much bigger future issues to come, but from a pure talent-for-talent standpoint this deal is a clear win for Toronto.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 20
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 75
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 13
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 45
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 141
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (141)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)