Jul 27, 2011, 12:46 PM EDT
Sounds like the other shoe is about to drop.
According to Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post Dispatch the Blue Jays have agreed to flip Edwin Jackson to the Cardinals along with relievers Octavio Dotel and Marc Rzepczynski for center fielder Colby Rasmus. Buster Olney of ESPN.com says Toronto will also get Trever Miller, Brian Tallet, and P.J. Walters, while Corey Patterson is included in the package heading to St. Louis.
Jackson was acquired this morning from the White Sox along with Mark Teahen for Jason Frasor and Zach Stewart, so this is essentially a three-team trade with the Blue Jays kicking in a little something extra to make the second part work.
Rasmus’ ongoing feud with manager Tony La Russa made it clear that he wasn’t destined to be a fixture in St. Louis, but the Cardinals appear to be selling very low on a 24-year-old center fielder with elite upside.
Jackson is a solid mid-rotation starter, but he’s also a free agent after the season. Dotel is a solid setup man, but he’s also 37 years old. And if Marc Rzepczynski is the biggest long-term piece acquired in exchange for Rasmus … well, general manager John Mozeliak has some explaining to do.
Maybe time will show that Rasmus feuding with La Russa was a sign of much bigger future issues to come, but from a pure talent-for-talent standpoint this deal is a clear win for Toronto.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 57
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (114)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?