Jul 27, 2011, 12:46 PM EST
Sounds like the other shoe is about to drop.
According to Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post Dispatch the Blue Jays have agreed to flip Edwin Jackson to the Cardinals along with relievers Octavio Dotel and Marc Rzepczynski for center fielder Colby Rasmus. Buster Olney of ESPN.com says Toronto will also get Trever Miller, Brian Tallet, and P.J. Walters, while Corey Patterson is included in the package heading to St. Louis.
Jackson was acquired this morning from the White Sox along with Mark Teahen for Jason Frasor and Zach Stewart, so this is essentially a three-team trade with the Blue Jays kicking in a little something extra to make the second part work.
Rasmus’ ongoing feud with manager Tony La Russa made it clear that he wasn’t destined to be a fixture in St. Louis, but the Cardinals appear to be selling very low on a 24-year-old center fielder with elite upside.
Jackson is a solid mid-rotation starter, but he’s also a free agent after the season. Dotel is a solid setup man, but he’s also 37 years old. And if Marc Rzepczynski is the biggest long-term piece acquired in exchange for Rasmus … well, general manager John Mozeliak has some explaining to do.
Maybe time will show that Rasmus feuding with La Russa was a sign of much bigger future issues to come, but from a pure talent-for-talent standpoint this deal is a clear win for Toronto.
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 9
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 290
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (290)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)