Jul 27, 2011, 12:46 PM EDT
Sounds like the other shoe is about to drop.
According to Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post Dispatch the Blue Jays have agreed to flip Edwin Jackson to the Cardinals along with relievers Octavio Dotel and Marc Rzepczynski for center fielder Colby Rasmus. Buster Olney of ESPN.com says Toronto will also get Trever Miller, Brian Tallet, and P.J. Walters, while Corey Patterson is included in the package heading to St. Louis.
Jackson was acquired this morning from the White Sox along with Mark Teahen for Jason Frasor and Zach Stewart, so this is essentially a three-team trade with the Blue Jays kicking in a little something extra to make the second part work.
Rasmus’ ongoing feud with manager Tony La Russa made it clear that he wasn’t destined to be a fixture in St. Louis, but the Cardinals appear to be selling very low on a 24-year-old center fielder with elite upside.
Jackson is a solid mid-rotation starter, but he’s also a free agent after the season. Dotel is a solid setup man, but he’s also 37 years old. And if Marc Rzepczynski is the biggest long-term piece acquired in exchange for Rasmus … well, general manager John Mozeliak has some explaining to do.
Maybe time will show that Rasmus feuding with La Russa was a sign of much bigger future issues to come, but from a pure talent-for-talent standpoint this deal is a clear win for Toronto.
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 14
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 54
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 52
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 46
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 17
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)