Jul 27, 2011, 12:46 PM EDT
Sounds like the other shoe is about to drop.
According to Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post Dispatch the Blue Jays have agreed to flip Edwin Jackson to the Cardinals along with relievers Octavio Dotel and Marc Rzepczynski for center fielder Colby Rasmus. Buster Olney of ESPN.com says Toronto will also get Trever Miller, Brian Tallet, and P.J. Walters, while Corey Patterson is included in the package heading to St. Louis.
Jackson was acquired this morning from the White Sox along with Mark Teahen for Jason Frasor and Zach Stewart, so this is essentially a three-team trade with the Blue Jays kicking in a little something extra to make the second part work.
Rasmus’ ongoing feud with manager Tony La Russa made it clear that he wasn’t destined to be a fixture in St. Louis, but the Cardinals appear to be selling very low on a 24-year-old center fielder with elite upside.
Jackson is a solid mid-rotation starter, but he’s also a free agent after the season. Dotel is a solid setup man, but he’s also 37 years old. And if Marc Rzepczynski is the biggest long-term piece acquired in exchange for Rasmus … well, general manager John Mozeliak has some explaining to do.
Maybe time will show that Rasmus feuding with La Russa was a sign of much bigger future issues to come, but from a pure talent-for-talent standpoint this deal is a clear win for Toronto.
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with apparent side injury 1
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 2
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 3
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 4
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 7
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 30
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)