Jul 27, 2011, 10:18 PM EDT
Brewers second baseman Rickie Weeks was pulled from Wednesday night’s game against the Cubs after suffering what looked to be a serious left ankle injury on a play at first base in the second inning.
Weeks landed awkwardly on the first base bag after beating out an infield single and immediately hit the ground in pain. He had to be helped off the field by trainers and was unable to put any weight on his left ankle during the short trek to the Milwaukee dugout.
Initial X-rays turned up negative, but MLB.com’s Adam McCalvy heard from the Brewers’ PR staff that Weeks is headed to a local hospital for “diagnostic tests.” The team may be fearing that he suffered some level of ligament damage.
Weeks, 28, is batting .272/.346/.478 with 19 homers and 43 RBI in 104 games. The Brewers used Craig Counsell in his place on Wednesday and would be in real trouble if Weeks is forced to miss significant time.
UPDATE: The Brewers still aren’t sure about the severity of Weeks’ injury, but manager Ron Roenicke said after Wednesday’s game that the second baseman is headed to the 15-day disabled list.
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 6
- Cliff Lee exits start with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 11
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 46
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 133
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (132)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (124)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)