Jul 27, 2011, 10:18 PM EST
Brewers second baseman Rickie Weeks was pulled from Wednesday night’s game against the Cubs after suffering what looked to be a serious left ankle injury on a play at first base in the second inning.
Weeks landed awkwardly on the first base bag after beating out an infield single and immediately hit the ground in pain. He had to be helped off the field by trainers and was unable to put any weight on his left ankle during the short trek to the Milwaukee dugout.
Initial X-rays turned up negative, but MLB.com’s Adam McCalvy heard from the Brewers’ PR staff that Weeks is headed to a local hospital for “diagnostic tests.” The team may be fearing that he suffered some level of ligament damage.
Weeks, 28, is batting .272/.346/.478 with 19 homers and 43 RBI in 104 games. The Brewers used Craig Counsell in his place on Wednesday and would be in real trouble if Weeks is forced to miss significant time.
UPDATE: The Brewers still aren’t sure about the severity of Weeks’ injury, but manager Ron Roenicke said after Wednesday’s game that the second baseman is headed to the 15-day disabled list.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 303
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (303)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)