Jul 27, 2011, 10:18 PM EST
Brewers second baseman Rickie Weeks was pulled from Wednesday night’s game against the Cubs after suffering what looked to be a serious left ankle injury on a play at first base in the second inning.
Weeks landed awkwardly on the first base bag after beating out an infield single and immediately hit the ground in pain. He had to be helped off the field by trainers and was unable to put any weight on his left ankle during the short trek to the Milwaukee dugout.
Initial X-rays turned up negative, but MLB.com’s Adam McCalvy heard from the Brewers’ PR staff that Weeks is headed to a local hospital for “diagnostic tests.” The team may be fearing that he suffered some level of ligament damage.
Weeks, 28, is batting .272/.346/.478 with 19 homers and 43 RBI in 104 games. The Brewers used Craig Counsell in his place on Wednesday and would be in real trouble if Weeks is forced to miss significant time.
UPDATE: The Brewers still aren’t sure about the severity of Weeks’ injury, but manager Ron Roenicke said after Wednesday’s game that the second baseman is headed to the 15-day disabled list.
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 0
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 75
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 118
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 21
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 35
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 25
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (119)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)