Jul 27, 2011, 5:45 PM EDT
It worked last year, as the Nationals picked up their long-term catcher by sending their closer to the Twins. Now they could make a similar move, only grabbing a center fielder instead, if FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal is correct.
According to Rosenthal, Drew Storen may be in play in the trade talks between the Nationals and Twins regarding Denard Span. Previous reports had shortstop Ian Desmond as the possible return for Minnesota, but the Twins may prefer getting a long-term closer instead.
And Drew Storen is definitely that. The 23-year-old has a 2.37 ERA and is 25-for-28 saving games for the Nationals this season. He’s under control through 2016, and he’s about as good of a bet as any current closer in the major leagues to still be in that role five years from now.
But do the Twins really want to go this route again? Last year, they sent Wilson Ramos to the Nationals for Matt Capps. It worked out just fine initially, as Capps has a 2.00 ERA and was 16-for-18 saving games for Minnesota down the stretch. Plus, Ramos was always viewed as expendable because of Joe Mauer‘s presence behind the plate.
However, Ramos would have been of great use to the Twins this year while Mauer missed most of the first half, and Capps, having blown seven of 22 save chances, has been getting booed off the mound at Target Field.
This one probably wouldn’t work out so badly. Span is a nice regular and he’s not going to be a free agent until after 2014, but the Twins do have Ben Revere behind him, and while Revere probably won’t match Span offensively, he could be a decent regular at a bargain price. Plus, their top position prospect, Aaron Hicks, also possesses the range to play center field in the majors.
I’d still give the idea of a Span-for-Storen swap a thumbs down for the Twins; there are better ways to cash in Span than trading him for a closer. However, at least in this case, they’d be getting a whole lot more than a Matt Capps in return.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 28
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 13
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 191
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 35
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (191)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)