Roy Oswalt completes four-inning Triple-A rehab start

Jul 27, 2011, 9:32 PM EDT

oswalt getty Getty Images

Todd Zolecki of MLB.com passes along word that Phillies right-hander Roy Oswalt allowed just one hit (a home run) over four innings Wednesday in a rehab appearance with Triple-A Lehigh Valley.

Oswalt threw 72 pitches, 41 of which were strikes. He walked two batters but struck out four.

The veteran right-hander is expected to make just one more rehab appearance before rejoining the Phillies’ starting rotation sometime in early August. He was placed on the disabled list June 24 with tightness in his troublesome lower back.

Oswalt, 33, had a 3.79 ERA, 1.33 WHIP and 42/18 K/BB ratio this season through 71 1/3 innings (13 starts).

1. drmonkeyarmy - Jul 27, 2011 at 9:36 PM

Anybody have any idea as to what his velocity was>

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 27, 2011 at 10:10 PM

Mostly 88-90mph. I believe 1 pitch toped out at 91mph.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 27, 2011 at 10:12 PM

Thanks. He is going to have to get that up to a consistent 92.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 27, 2011 at 10:16 PM

I was right about Dom Brown. His fielding is getting worse. I initially thought it was going to be adequate enough to be tolerable. I no longer see this as the case. I wanted him to play everyday to have him improve his hitting by gaining experience. He clearly cannot play everyday with this piss poor fielding. He cost them the game tonight.

If they hold onto Brown and don’t deal him, he must be sent down to play winter ball and start next year in the minors until he learns how to field. He is unacceptable as a defensive right fielder.

2. captainwisdom8888 - Jul 27, 2011 at 9:42 PM

Enjoy long relief in the postseason, Roy. The Vanimal is town….

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 27, 2011 at 10:12 PM

Actually, if Roy is healthy it’s the other way around. Roy is the 4th starter, without question. Proven pedigree. A kid with 13 career starts will never usurp Roy Oswalt.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 27, 2011 at 10:16 PM

Agreed. Assuming Oswalt his healthy, I believe Kendrick will take the long relief role with Worley sliding into a supporting bullpen role. Herndon, Perez, and Carpenter will not make the post season roster.

• icelovinbrotha215 - Jul 27, 2011 at 11:47 PM

People need to calm down with the Vanimal hype. I like Vance. But Roy O is better than him. Let’s see how Vanimal progress as we get to September and hopefully in October. And hopefully Roy O can go out in style. Red October. Yea, that sounds good.

3. drmonkeyarmy - Jul 27, 2011 at 10:11 PM

I said it in a post below I will say it again: The Phillies need to sit Brown for awhile. It is not his hitting that is getting to me, it is his fielding. He plays the worst right field I’ve seen in some time. He is making Ibanez look like a gold glover in left. Ibanez is a bad fielder because he is slow and can’t make plays, particularly coming forward. Brown, on the other hand, misplays a ball seemingly every game. He gifted the Giants their second run. I am still not sold on the notion of trading him, but Mayberry Jr. needs to find his way into the line-up for the rest of the home stand. I’m not necessarily sold on Mayberry Jr. being a consistent offensive threat (although he has been swinging the bat nicely since his recall), but he plays a solid outfield.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 27, 2011 at 10:19 PM

Great minds think alike. See my almost identical respose above.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 27, 2011 at 10:23 PM

I think RAJ is going to move him. I see a Brown, Cosart, DeFratus deal for Pence in the making.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 27, 2011 at 10:27 PM

We are Phillies fans, we are use to see poor defensive play at the corner outfield position but this is different. Brown doesn’t look like a professional out there. At least Burrell and Ibanez look like they know what they are doing. That ball in the 7th should have been caught….at the very least he needed to keep it in front of him. It was ridiculous. If I see another ball get through him, I am going to start throwing stuff at the TV.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 27, 2011 at 10:30 PM

It’s possible. I don’t know what to think about these rumors because they never usually go with the popular proposals. It’s always something out of rightfield, no pun intended.

I, like you, am not ready to totally give up on Brown. But, someone needs to work with this kid and his fielding. I said it the other day. 2 hrs minimum per day he should be in the outfield working on his fielding with Juan Samuel. Everyday.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 27, 2011 at 10:37 PM

That line drive to him in the 7th was played so poorly he looked like he was trying to avoid a Japanese blow dart. Very awkward. He needs to get in front of that ball. Diving for it Matrix style is not the answer. There is a lack of clear fundamentals that need to be learned before getting to the MLB level. Why wasn’t this addressed in the minors?????

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 27, 2011 at 10:42 PM

They must of tried to work on it. That is why it is concerning to me. He doesn’t read the ball and the slight slice of a line drive. That ball was right at him. If he just runs forward he catches it standing, doesn’t have to do a lame ass dive which causes the ball to inevitably get by him and the Giants don’t score that inning.

4. Chris Fiorentino - Jul 27, 2011 at 10:41 PM

The biggest problem with the Domo-nator is that he just isn’t learning…or he just isn’t working hard enough to get any better. He was a shitty fielder in the minors and he brought that bad fielding up to the big leagues. I find it hard to believe that he doesn’t have the athleticism to play right field, so it has to be that he is just not a hard enough worker. If he thinks he is just going to be able to slide through he is very wrong. For one, he isn’t THAT good of a hitter, at least right now. For another, Uncle Charlie is not going to put up with Brown’s fielding.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 27, 2011 at 10:45 PM

You are correct sir. I would be surprised to see him in the line-up tomorrow. Like I said above, he doesn’t read the ball at all. The ball was clearly slicing right back to him. Instead he went to his right, came straight forward and tried a crazy looking dive. When that liner was hit, I was thinking okay that’s one down and all of a sudden disaster.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 27, 2011 at 10:55 PM

You and the Doctor are both right. I can deal with Brown’s growing pains facing MLB pitching. It’s much better than any level of the minors, by far. What I cannot put up with is lower A-ball fielding, what he shows. It’s totally unacceptable. He may be the worse defensive right fielder I have ever seen in a Phillies uniform. I can’t think of one worse off the top of my head.

• FC - Jul 28, 2011 at 8:00 AM

I find it hard to blast Brown since he was the only Phillie to push a run across the plate. The Phillies had plenty of opportunities to make the 2nd inning blunder a non-issue (1 for 5 RISP? ouch!). He does need a personal coach though. He didn’t read the slice.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 28, 2011 at 8:04 AM

He drove in the run because of a bad hop.

• FC - Jul 28, 2011 at 9:54 AM

The rest of the Phillies couldn’t even manage that! It still counts dude, look at it this way: he gave the defense an opportunity to screw up, much better than a K. As a matter of fact Victorino got on base because of an error.

What about Ruiz hitting into a DP? What about no extra base hits from the line-up? All I’m saying is there is plenty of blame to go around. Trying to pin the outcome of the game on Brown’s play in RF is over the top. He gave a run away and got one back, maybe we end up losing 1-0 instead of 2-1.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 28, 2011 at 11:47 AM

It wasn’t just last night with Brown. He misplays balls constantly. He doesn’t read the slice of a line drive. He will cost the Phillies games down the stretch and in the playoffs with his poor defense. It is not like he is providing a ton with the bat to compensate either. Your comments seem to be off base. The Phillies did not strike out much last night, they put a ton of balls into play. It just so happened that Huff screwed up the Brown “single”. Also, Martinez had a double.

• FC - Jul 28, 2011 at 12:19 PM

I should clarify that I meant no extra-base hits with men on. I admit the way I wrote that was wrong and didn’t convey what I wanted to say. Martinez’s double was with no one on base.

I’m not claiming that the Phillies struck a lot. You assume too much and infer things that are not in what I said. I was referring to the fact that putting a ball in play is better than a K in general with guys in scoring position, it so happens he hit that particular one that Huff couldn’t handle. Check who the LOB in the box score. The core guys didn’t do their job.

You want to downplay Dom’s hit fine, but then I can say that if the line-drive hadn’t sliced or if it had been a regular fly ball that he caught you wouldn’t have said anything about Dom, in fact you would have complained about how he was the only one who did anything offensively last night. In this particular game Brown was neutral: gave one up, got one back. Fact is he GOT the RBI.

Now if you want to critique him in general he is deserving of that, but I still maintain that biceps saying HE lost the game is way off base, at best the game is tied and maybe Madson or some other reliever gives up a HR in extras. You can’t KNOW what the end result would have been without that error.

The only reason I’m bringing this up is that you’re poo-pooing his single and RBI when the rest of the Phillies line-up came up with squat.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 28, 2011 at 12:31 PM

Last night was just an example of his inept play in right field. If it were a one time thing, fine it happens. Even stellar fielders like Victornio misjudge liners occasionally. Hell, Victornio cost the Phillies a game early in the season on a misplay. However with Brown, it is something he does on a consistent basis. Like I said, if he were hitting better to compensate it would be one thing. Right now, Mayberry Jr. is putting up comparable if not slightly better offensive numbers than Brown and is a far superior defensive outfielder. I am not saying to ship Brown off to wherever but for the time being I would go with Mayberry.

5. dirtyharry1971 - Jul 28, 2011 at 12:45 AM

i love how they are rushing him back, smart money says he wont make 5 more starts this season

6. nickynick04 - Jul 28, 2011 at 10:34 AM

I watched Brown at Lehigh Valley for quite some time, not overly impressed,,,,,I d trade him for Pence in a heartbeat

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5019)