Jul 27, 2011, 11:51 AM EDT
Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes reports that the Royals have signed Raul Mondesi’s son, 16-year-old shortstop Adalberto Mondesi, for a $2 million bonus.
Today is his 16th birthday and thus the first day Adalberto Mondesi was eligible to sign. He’s expected to begin his pro career in the Dominican Summer League next season after catching the Royals’ eye while playing at an academy in the Dominican Republic.
Rojas quoted a scout who describes Adalberto Mondesi as a switch-hitter with plus speed and defense, projecting him to become a solid regular in the majors eventually despite a lack of power.
Ben Badler of Baseball America calls him a better prospect than older brother Raul Mondesi Jr., who signed with the Brewers last year for $800,000.
Their father signed with the Dodgers as a teenager and played 13 seasons in the majors, winning the Rookie of the Year award in 1994 and hitting .273 with 271 homers and an .815 OPS in 1,525 games for seven different teams. Raul Mondesi earned nearly $70 million as a player and is now the mayor of his home town, San Cristobal.
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 34
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 38
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 12
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 76
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 80
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (199)
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (192)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)