Jul 27, 2011, 11:51 AM EDT
Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes reports that the Royals have signed Raul Mondesi’s son, 16-year-old shortstop Adalberto Mondesi, for a $2 million bonus.
Today is his 16th birthday and thus the first day Adalberto Mondesi was eligible to sign. He’s expected to begin his pro career in the Dominican Summer League next season after catching the Royals’ eye while playing at an academy in the Dominican Republic.
Rojas quoted a scout who describes Adalberto Mondesi as a switch-hitter with plus speed and defense, projecting him to become a solid regular in the majors eventually despite a lack of power.
Ben Badler of Baseball America calls him a better prospect than older brother Raul Mondesi Jr., who signed with the Brewers last year for $800,000.
Their father signed with the Dodgers as a teenager and played 13 seasons in the majors, winning the Rookie of the Year award in 1994 and hitting .273 with 271 homers and an .815 OPS in 1,525 games for seven different teams. Raul Mondesi earned nearly $70 million as a player and is now the mayor of his home town, San Cristobal.
- Report: Cubs calling up prospect infielder Addison Russell 0
- Jonathan Lucroy headed to disabled list with broken toe 5
- Reds manager Bryan Price goes on profanity-laden tirade against media 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 75
- Report: Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the hot seat 40
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 88
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 14
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 14
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (129)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (109)