Jul 27, 2011, 3:50 PM EST
Hey, if you don’t ask for something, no one is going to give you anything. But sometimes it’s possible to ask too much.
That seems to be the case with the Cubs who, with an admirable amount of bravery, asked the Yankees to take Carlos Zambrano off their hands recently. They were reportedly offering to kick in lots of money too, but the Yankees weren’t biting. Frankly, I’d think that the Cubs could chip in almost all of his salary and the Yankees would say no.
Zambrano, by the way, is owed $23 million through the end of next year and is currently suffering through his worst season since he broke in for a cup of coffee back in 2001. So you see the central problem here.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 15
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 142
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 25
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 38
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)