Jul 28, 2011, 9:52 PM EST
It appears that stance has changed.
According to Bruce Levine of ESPN Chicago, Ramirez said Thursday that he hasn’t been approached by the Cubs’ front office about a trade and would be open to going somewhere else if the club decides that it wants to begin rebuilding.
“Nobody has come forward from the team, [and said] ‘We want to trade you,”’ Ramirez told Levine. “That’s only in the media. [GM] Jim [Hendry] hasn’t said anything about trading me. Or what’s the other guy, [team president Crane] Kenney? Nobody has asked me to waive my no-trade clause. Hey, nobody wants me. They want good players. If they come to me with a trade, we’ll see. But nobody has talked to me about it.”
“That’s not a secret, everybody knows [I want to stay]. But if they’re looking to rebuild, I can’t fit in, so we’ll see.”
The Cubs would likely have to eat a significant portion of Ramirez’s remaining salary in order to pull off a trade, but they should have options. The Angels were known to have some level of interest earlier this month.
Ramirez, 33, is batting .293/.334/.510 this season with 19 home runs and 63 RBI through 99 games played. He’s earning $14.6 million this year via a player option and has a $16 million club option for 2012.
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 11
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 44
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)