Jul 28, 2011, 9:52 PM EDT
It appears that stance has changed.
According to Bruce Levine of ESPN Chicago, Ramirez said Thursday that he hasn’t been approached by the Cubs’ front office about a trade and would be open to going somewhere else if the club decides that it wants to begin rebuilding.
“Nobody has come forward from the team, [and said] ‘We want to trade you,”’ Ramirez told Levine. “That’s only in the media. [GM] Jim [Hendry] hasn’t said anything about trading me. Or what’s the other guy, [team president Crane] Kenney? Nobody has asked me to waive my no-trade clause. Hey, nobody wants me. They want good players. If they come to me with a trade, we’ll see. But nobody has talked to me about it.”
“That’s not a secret, everybody knows [I want to stay]. But if they’re looking to rebuild, I can’t fit in, so we’ll see.”
The Cubs would likely have to eat a significant portion of Ramirez’s remaining salary in order to pull off a trade, but they should have options. The Angels were known to have some level of interest earlier this month.
Ramirez, 33, is batting .293/.334/.510 this season with 19 home runs and 63 RBI through 99 games played. He’s earning $14.6 million this year via a player option and has a $16 million club option for 2012.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 13
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 55
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (113)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte