Jul 28, 2011, 3:03 PM EDT
It has been an ugly day in Detroit so far. Jim Leyland was ejected early for arguing balls and strikes, and then starter Brad Penny — who was losing to the Angels 5-2 at the time — got into an argument with his catcher, Victor Martinez, in the top of the fourth inning. MLB.com doesn’t have the video up yet, but there’s a Gif of it up over at SB Nation.
Penny faced two more batters, giving up another run before being removed for Charlie Furbush (who allowed another run chargeable to Penny).
Penny has eaten a lot of innings this year, but he’s starting to unravel as the season wears on. But really, no matter how well you pitch, you tend not to go very far in this world by arguing with guys who are really well-respected and well-liked like Victor Martinez.
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 9
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 1
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 30
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Numbers game: Tigers fall victim to baseball’s speed obsession 45
- Twins prospect Byron Buxton done for season after concussion 3
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. 74
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)