Jul 28, 2011, 3:03 PM EST
It has been an ugly day in Detroit so far. Jim Leyland was ejected early for arguing balls and strikes, and then starter Brad Penny — who was losing to the Angels 5-2 at the time — got into an argument with his catcher, Victor Martinez, in the top of the fourth inning. MLB.com doesn’t have the video up yet, but there’s a Gif of it up over at SB Nation.
Penny faced two more batters, giving up another run before being removed for Charlie Furbush (who allowed another run chargeable to Penny).
Penny has eaten a lot of innings this year, but he’s starting to unravel as the season wears on. But really, no matter how well you pitch, you tend not to go very far in this world by arguing with guys who are really well-respected and well-liked like Victor Martinez.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (133)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)