Jul 28, 2011, 3:03 PM EDT
It has been an ugly day in Detroit so far. Jim Leyland was ejected early for arguing balls and strikes, and then starter Brad Penny — who was losing to the Angels 5-2 at the time — got into an argument with his catcher, Victor Martinez, in the top of the fourth inning. MLB.com doesn’t have the video up yet, but there’s a Gif of it up over at SB Nation.
Penny faced two more batters, giving up another run before being removed for Charlie Furbush (who allowed another run chargeable to Penny).
Penny has eaten a lot of innings this year, but he’s starting to unravel as the season wears on. But really, no matter how well you pitch, you tend not to go very far in this world by arguing with guys who are really well-respected and well-liked like Victor Martinez.
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 15
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 30
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 48
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 28
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)