Jul 28, 2011, 6:33 PM EST
Rafael Furcal has hit just .195/.267/.241 during an injury-plagued 2011 season, but with so little shortstop help available, he’s drawing interest from the Brewers and Giants, according to reports.
FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal says the Brewers, who have long held interest in fellow Dodgers infielder Jamey Carroll, are doing background work on Furcal. Rosenthal adds that the Dodgers will trade one of the infielders, but not both.
ESPN’s Jayson Stark mentioned San Francisco’s interest. The Giants have already picked up Jeff Keppinger and Carlos Beltran in recent days, but a healthy Furcal could be a big upgrade over the three-headed shortstop monster of Mike Fontenot, Miguel Tejada and Brandon Crawford.
It doesn’t make a lot of sense that the Dodgers would trade only one: even if they moved both, they’d still have Dee Gordon, Juan Uribe and Aaron Miles as middle-infield options. Carroll is the better bet to go now, since there is widespread demand for him and his salary won’t get in the way. Furcal, who is still owed nearly $5 million, will likely clear waivers, making him a possibility for an August deal.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 129
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 30
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 35
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (129)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)