Jul 28, 2011, 6:33 PM EDT
Rafael Furcal has hit just .195/.267/.241 during an injury-plagued 2011 season, but with so little shortstop help available, he’s drawing interest from the Brewers and Giants, according to reports.
FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal says the Brewers, who have long held interest in fellow Dodgers infielder Jamey Carroll, are doing background work on Furcal. Rosenthal adds that the Dodgers will trade one of the infielders, but not both.
ESPN’s Jayson Stark mentioned San Francisco’s interest. The Giants have already picked up Jeff Keppinger and Carlos Beltran in recent days, but a healthy Furcal could be a big upgrade over the three-headed shortstop monster of Mike Fontenot, Miguel Tejada and Brandon Crawford.
It doesn’t make a lot of sense that the Dodgers would trade only one: even if they moved both, they’d still have Dee Gordon, Juan Uribe and Aaron Miles as middle-infield options. Carroll is the better bet to go now, since there is widespread demand for him and his salary won’t get in the way. Furcal, who is still owed nearly $5 million, will likely clear waivers, making him a possibility for an August deal.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 14
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 196
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 37
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (200)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)