Jul 28, 2011, 4:16 PM EDT
Casey Blake‘s latest attempt to get over season-long back problems will begin tonight with a rehab assignment at Single-A.
Steve Dilbeck of the Los Angeles Times reports that Blake will start slow, debuting as a designated hitter, which likely means the 38-year-old is at least another week away from potentially coming off the disabled list.
This is Blake’s third stint on the DL this season and in between injuries the impending free agent has hit just .243 with four homers and a .731 OPS in 44 games during the final season of a three-year, $17.5 million deal that came after the Dodgers gave up Carlos Santana to get him from the Indians in mid-2008.
If he gets healthy and puts together a productive couple weeks in August perhaps they can get a low-level prospect for him prior to the secondary August 31 trade deadline, but probably not.
- The Cubs to announce the hiring of Joe Maddon on Monday 35
- Cubs fire manager Rick Renteria, clear way for Joe Maddon 67
- HardballTalk’s Top 150 Free Agents for 2015 24
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 117
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 31
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 107
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 19
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 83
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (281)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game (117)