Jul 28, 2011, 5:17 PM EDT
Casilla’s overall numbers are nothing special, but he’s hit reasonably well while playing solid defense since moving from shortstop to second base and as usual the Twins’ lack of infield depth makes losing him especially tough.
Matt Tolbert was called up from Triple-A and is starting in Casilla’s place tonight despite being a career .229 hitter with zero power, but presumably manager Ron Gardenhire will eventually see that giving Trevor Plouffe a chance at second base is the much, much higher-upside option.
Casilla is the one-millionth Twins player to spend time on the DL this year. Or maybe it just seems that way.
- Giants manager Bruce Bochy doesn’t expect Matt Cain to pitch again this year 3
- Matt Harvey throws off mound for first time since Tommy John surgery 2
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 46
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (201)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)