Jul 28, 2011, 5:17 PM EDT
Casilla’s overall numbers are nothing special, but he’s hit reasonably well while playing solid defense since moving from shortstop to second base and as usual the Twins’ lack of infield depth makes losing him especially tough.
Matt Tolbert was called up from Triple-A and is starting in Casilla’s place tonight despite being a career .229 hitter with zero power, but presumably manager Ron Gardenhire will eventually see that giving Trevor Plouffe a chance at second base is the much, much higher-upside option.
Casilla is the one-millionth Twins player to spend time on the DL this year. Or maybe it just seems that way.
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 1
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 0
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 5
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 54
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)