Jul 28, 2011, 5:17 PM EDT
Casilla’s overall numbers are nothing special, but he’s hit reasonably well while playing solid defense since moving from shortstop to second base and as usual the Twins’ lack of infield depth makes losing him especially tough.
Matt Tolbert was called up from Triple-A and is starting in Casilla’s place tonight despite being a career .229 hitter with zero power, but presumably manager Ron Gardenhire will eventually see that giving Trevor Plouffe a chance at second base is the much, much higher-upside option.
Casilla is the one-millionth Twins player to spend time on the DL this year. Or maybe it just seems that way.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 87
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)