Interest in Hunter Pence “exploding”

Jul 28, 2011, 4:37 PM EDT

Hunter Pence AP

Jayson Stark reports that interest in Hunter Pence is “exploding” since the Carlos Beltran trade went down. Mark Berman of Fox confirms, noting that as many as six teams are inquiring about Pence’s services.I guess that means a lot of teams are hot for him, huh?

The teams Stark mentions are all of the usual looking-for-offense suspects we’ve been hearing about these past couple of weeks: the Phillies, Braves, Reds and Red Sox.  Berman reports that there are two other AL teams interested, but doesn’t name them.  Of course, some people think that the Reds should be selling and going young. And most people agree that offense is not the Red Sox’ biggest problem.  Maybe, then, we should take Philly and Atlanta most seriously as suitors.

Last week there were reports that the Astros were either unwilling to trade Pence or had to be bowled over.  Stark says that the Astros have an open mind, however.  And now that the price has been set for a big bat at the deadline — a top prospect for Carlos Beltran — a deal may be more doable than it was 48 hours ag0 when everyone was adrift at sea.

1. Utley's Hair - Jul 28, 2011 at 4:40 PM

“Last week there were reports that the Astros were either unwilling to trade Pence or had to be bowled over.”

Hear that, NinJr.? Eddie wants you to take him bowling!!! Or maybe he thinks this is college football….

• proudlycanadian - Jul 28, 2011 at 4:54 PM

If the Phillies get him, will there be shock waves from the explosion?

• Phillies Homer - Jul 28, 2011 at 4:55 PM

I’d explode if they got him… wait… that didn’t come out right… I meant I’ll be really happy!

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 28, 2011 at 6:10 PM

The deal for Pence is going to be Brown, Cosart, DeFratus or Aumont.

• FC - Jul 28, 2011 at 6:23 PM

Either way it’s a happy ending right?

2. proudlycanadian - Jul 28, 2011 at 4:41 PM

The Jays are not in the mix on this one.

• proudlycanadian - Jul 28, 2011 at 6:14 PM

We will be willing to give you Encarnacion for Aumont. Rajai Davis is also available if you need stolen bases.

3. phillyphever - Jul 28, 2011 at 4:43 PM

Odds are it’s gonna be either the Phils or the Braves.

• proudlycanadian - Jul 28, 2011 at 4:57 PM

So who are the Phillies actually “zeroing in on”? There have been too many names attached to them. What if they end up with someone not mentioned in rumors?

• Utley's Hair - Jul 28, 2011 at 5:02 PM

You mean like Cliffy in 2009? That worked out pretty well. But it all depends on who the unmentioned get turns out to be. Kemp? Cool. Burrell? Eh…not so much. Bautista? Oh, yeah.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jul 28, 2011 at 5:34 PM

UH, I thought I was dreaming with Kemp…you have to throw Bautista in the mix??? Would you do Hamels and Brown for Bautista?

• Utley's Hair - Jul 28, 2011 at 5:43 PM

I think Kemp is a pipe dream—and that’s more likely than Bautista. Brown, yes. Hamels? I don’t know, but I’d probably lean to no.

The conspiracy theorist part of me thinks Doc was a smokescreen for Cliffy. And Pence might be another one for…? Especially after Montgomery chimed in the other day. Time will tell. But I’m on the edge of my seat.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 28, 2011 at 6:09 PM

I would not do Hamels/Brown for Bautista at all. No way. Hamels is best pitcher in baseball.

• FC - Jul 28, 2011 at 6:25 PM

Would you do Hamels and Brown for Bautista?

If I can get some Phillie Ball Girls to do them both do we get Bautista? Wait a minute… haven’t I done this schtick already…?

• TheBlindUmp - Jul 29, 2011 at 1:28 AM

No so much “zeroing in on”, more like “eyeing” him carefully

• cktai - Jul 29, 2011 at 3:44 AM

@drmonkeyarmy, last time I mentioned that Hamels might be the best lefty in baseball, people slapped me in the face with Jamie Garcia and Zach Britton.

• cktai - Jul 29, 2011 at 3:47 AM

And no, I would not trade Hamels for anyone. Hamels is the past, present and future of the Phillies!

4. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jul 28, 2011 at 4:59 PM

Shockingly quiet trade deadline for the Mystery Team. They are usually the most active guys in the weeks leading up to July 31, but this is the first I have heard them mentioned, and even this removes 13 teams from speculation by limiting it to AL.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 28, 2011 at 5:04 PM

And PTBNL’s been pretty quiet, too.

• proudlycanadian - Jul 28, 2011 at 5:10 PM

Three of them of the minor variety and or cash considerations are going to St. Louis. My money is on cash considerations.

5. 18thstreet - Jul 28, 2011 at 5:09 PM

I’d pay to see him explode. That would be something.

6. metalhead65 - Jul 28, 2011 at 6:08 PM

no matter how good he is he will not end up being a red. he does not have the 1 qualification it takes to play for that team and that is he never played for the cardinals under jocketty so he is disqualified from consideration.

7. mikeypa - Jul 28, 2011 at 9:04 PM

Am I the only Phillies fan who thinks that trading Brown is a good idea? I know the guy has potential, but Pence is a proven player who makes the team much better instantly.

8. myspaceyourface - Jul 29, 2011 at 3:13 AM

Hunter would make a great Pirate. As unlikely as that is, I sure hope the Pirates get a 1B and an OF before the deadline.

9. islandman23 - Jul 29, 2011 at 11:43 AM

Trade Ryan Howard for Albert Pujols. We’d have to sign Pujols to a long-term contract of course- which St Louis probably won’t do. Howard is from St Louis and he can fly back and forth to his 25 million dollar Venice crib in Florida when he’s not living at home in St. Loo. If Howard has 75 ribbies then Pujols would have 100 by now…and the guys behind him would have someone to drive in once in a while.
    If we keep Howard and get Pence, then for God’s sake bat Pence fourth behind Utley and have Howard bat fifth…

Three legends off to Cooperstown