Jul 28, 2011, 4:37 PM EDT
Jayson Stark reports that interest in Hunter Pence is “exploding” since the Carlos Beltran trade went down. Mark Berman of Fox confirms, noting that as many as six teams are inquiring about Pence’s services.I guess that means a lot of teams are hot for him, huh?
The teams Stark mentions are all of the usual looking-for-offense suspects we’ve been hearing about these past couple of weeks: the Phillies, Braves, Reds and Red Sox. Berman reports that there are two other AL teams interested, but doesn’t name them. Of course, some people think that the Reds should be selling and going young. And most people agree that offense is not the Red Sox’ biggest problem. Maybe, then, we should take Philly and Atlanta most seriously as suitors.
Last week there were reports that the Astros were either unwilling to trade Pence or had to be bowled over. Stark says that the Astros have an open mind, however. And now that the price has been set for a big bat at the deadline — a top prospect for Carlos Beltran — a deal may be more doable than it was 48 hours ag0 when everyone was adrift at sea.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 59
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (111)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)