Jul 28, 2011, 4:37 PM EST
Jayson Stark reports that interest in Hunter Pence is “exploding” since the Carlos Beltran trade went down. Mark Berman of Fox confirms, noting that as many as six teams are inquiring about Pence’s services.I guess that means a lot of teams are hot for him, huh?
The teams Stark mentions are all of the usual looking-for-offense suspects we’ve been hearing about these past couple of weeks: the Phillies, Braves, Reds and Red Sox. Berman reports that there are two other AL teams interested, but doesn’t name them. Of course, some people think that the Reds should be selling and going young. And most people agree that offense is not the Red Sox’ biggest problem. Maybe, then, we should take Philly and Atlanta most seriously as suitors.
Last week there were reports that the Astros were either unwilling to trade Pence or had to be bowled over. Stark says that the Astros have an open mind, however. And now that the price has been set for a big bat at the deadline — a top prospect for Carlos Beltran — a deal may be more doable than it was 48 hours ag0 when everyone was adrift at sea.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 0
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 278
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 17
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (279)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)