Jul 28, 2011, 4:37 PM EDT
Jayson Stark reports that interest in Hunter Pence is “exploding” since the Carlos Beltran trade went down. Mark Berman of Fox confirms, noting that as many as six teams are inquiring about Pence’s services.I guess that means a lot of teams are hot for him, huh?
The teams Stark mentions are all of the usual looking-for-offense suspects we’ve been hearing about these past couple of weeks: the Phillies, Braves, Reds and Red Sox. Berman reports that there are two other AL teams interested, but doesn’t name them. Of course, some people think that the Reds should be selling and going young. And most people agree that offense is not the Red Sox’ biggest problem. Maybe, then, we should take Philly and Atlanta most seriously as suitors.
Last week there were reports that the Astros were either unwilling to trade Pence or had to be bowled over. Stark says that the Astros have an open mind, however. And now that the price has been set for a big bat at the deadline — a top prospect for Carlos Beltran — a deal may be more doable than it was 48 hours ag0 when everyone was adrift at sea.
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 43
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 33
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 103
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (103)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)