Joe Blanton: “There’s zero percent chance I’ll start this year”

Jul 28, 2011, 11:19 AM EDT

blanton throws Getty Images

Joe Blanton may come back from an elbow injury to pitch again this season, but it won’t be as a starter.

Blanton told Todd Zolecki of MLB.com that “there’s a zero percent chance I’ll start this year” because “there’s just not enough time” to build up his arm strength after missing the past two months.

Even a late-season return to the bullpen is far from a sure thing at this point and Blanton may need offseason surgery to “transpose” the nerve in his elbow.

According to Zolecki the operation would knock him out for around five months, so if it looks like he won’t be able to contribute as a reliever down the stretch the Phillies may decide he’s better off going under the knife now. Blanton, who started just six games before being shut down, is owed $8.5 million in 2012.

1. Chris Fiorentino - Jul 28, 2011 at 11:22 AM

Cot’s says he is owed $10.5 million next year.

Whatever it is over a buck, it isn’t worth it.

2. halladaysbiceps - Jul 28, 2011 at 11:22 AM

Joe Blanton: “There’s zero percent chance I’ll go on a diet this year”

3. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jul 28, 2011 at 11:25 AM

Worley fantasy owners rejoice!

4. icelovinbrotha215 - Jul 28, 2011 at 11:36 AM

Oh No Sloppy Joe. Do we really have him under contract next year? Good riddance.

5. phillyphan975 - Jul 28, 2011 at 11:42 AM

The worst part about this is we owe hiim money next year!

6. philly56 - Jul 28, 2011 at 11:44 AM

Hooray!!!

7. deathmonkey41 - Jul 28, 2011 at 11:56 AM

Fat Kid Joe! I really don’t understand why everyone hates this dude- he’s pitched reasonably well, helped the Phillies win a World Series, and always says the right things. Just not getting the hate.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 28, 2011 at 12:02 PM

I like Blanton. World Series HR and has been a solid contributor for the team. I sorry that he is hurt, but am glad that he is not in the rotation for the rest of the season. Worley has been pitching significantly better than Big Joe would have.

• Jonny 5 - Jul 28, 2011 at 12:04 PM

(fistbumps)

8. Phillies Homer - Jul 28, 2011 at 12:03 PM

All you Blanton haters!! Let’s not forget when the Phillies traded for him in 2008 he was a very solid pitcher en route to a World Series Championship!

And was no slouch in 2009 either… kept the Phillies in games albiet not to the success he had in 2008. And in 2010, postseason speaking, wasn’t given much of a chance due to the aces that were acquired.

A good guy in baseball who was judged b/c of the aces around him… and now you guys are cheering him being out for the year… Shameful!!

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 28, 2011 at 12:13 PM

I agree with this. All I do is joke on his weight, hence my diet joke above. I’m not glad he’s hurt one bit. He’s a serviceable pitcher when healthy. Is he an ace or lights out pitcher? No, of course not. He is what he is. A serviceable #4 pitcher on most staffs. Just not this year and not with this particular staff.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jul 28, 2011 at 12:18 PM

The reason I despise Heavy B is because he puts ZERO effort into getting better. He was given the 3 year 24 million extension by NinJr and all he did was put on weight and get himself hurt. The classic picture of his sitting on his fat ass while Doc, Roy and Cole were standing there waiting to go out and stretch during the playoffs last year was the perfect picture for the lazy bumb.

Yeah, he was good in 2008 and even hit a bomb in the WS. And I loved it. I don’t want Pat the bat back and he had a key double in that series too. 2008 was a long time ago. Heavy B is what he is…a serviceable 5th starter and innings eater. I believe somebody had a stat where he was either the worst or in the bottom 3 of all pitchers in MLB last year.

Bleh…you can live in the past. I’m not going to do so. Is he Adam Eaton? Nope. But that isn’t saying a whole lot.

9. phillydano - Jul 28, 2011 at 12:30 PM

The Phils should have traded Blanton during the offseason, once they locked up Lee. The demand for a Blanton caliber pitcher seemed high during the offseason. Maybe the Phils could have gotten a prospect to maybe use as additional trade (Hunter Pence) bait, eaten some salaly and shed some salary. I like Blanton as a typical number 3 or 4 starter. He is solid, but has/had no place on this 2011 Phils team. Now we are stuck with him. No one can say this is hindsight, Phils fans wanted Blanton traded during the offseason. It surpised me, at least, that Ruben didnt deal him over the winter. In the least, they could have avoid the whole “dont leave Joe out, he’s an ace too” drama.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 28, 2011 at 12:43 PM

They actually did try to trade Blanton all off season, according to every report I saw. There were no takers, especially with the contract the Philllies signed him to prior to the 2010 season and the season he had in that 2010 based on that contract.

Teams didn’t want the guy. And they will not be able to probably trade him this offseason. They will have him until the end of 2012.

• ryanboyer711 - Jul 28, 2011 at 1:57 PM

I get that we are talking about a 5th starter here, but everything you’ve mentioned is based off of what you know now. At the beginning of the season, he would have been the best #5 starter in the league. He MIGHT have gotten a decent prospect for the Phils, but at the beginning of the year, there was no discussion about getting Hunter Pence, or any RH bat, or any of that. They expected more of Francisco (which was a mistake in and of itself), they didn’t expect the bullpen to be centered around Bastardo and Stutes due to injuries and not a single person could say they expected anything out of Worley. All those things have led to the trade discussions that are out there. Blanton is a low hanging fruit to pick at because he’s injured and is a hit to their salary number next year.

I also am curious to know what “he’s an ace too” drama are you referring to? Please clarify the effect of Joe sitting in on a photo-shoot has cost this team. The 4 aces + Blanton are as classy a group of pitchers you will find in baseball – collectively and individually – so what other route would you have expected them to go?

I can get on board with the Phils needing a little more foresight to consider his $8.5M for next year and seeing if they could have unloaded that early but they can’t predict an injury that makes that number look even worse. I also understand that they over-valued Francisco, but saying that they could have or should have traded Blanton and added a prospect to help their current situation is a slightly unfair criticism of RAJ.

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate