Jul 28, 2011, 3:20 PM EST
Not literally, because that would almost certainly be a conflict of interest.
But figuratively, there is some definite ownage here. Stanton homered in a second straight game in Washington on Thursday, giving him 24 homers this season and nine career homers against the Nationals.
Those nine homers are give more than he has against any other major league team. He entered the day with a career .324/.427/.730 line with eight homers, six doubles and 16 RBI in 22 games against the Nationals.
Stanton, who won’t turn 22 until after the season, is up to 46 career homers now. If he can hit nine more in the second half — which seems like a very good bet — he’ll crack the top 10 all time for homers before age 22:
1. Mel Ott: 86
2. Tony Conigliaro: 84
3. Eddie Mathews: 72
4. Frank Robinson: 67
5. Alex Rodriguez: 64
6. Ken Griffey Jr.: 60
7. Al Kaline: 59
8. Mickey Mantle: 57
9. Bob Horner: 56
10. Ted Williams: 54
10. Andruw Jones: 54
Very possibly, he’ll join the top eight with a group of seven Hall of Famers and a guy in Conigliaro who may well have been that kind of player if not for a beaning.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 48
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)