Jul 28, 2011, 3:20 PM EDT
Not literally, because that would almost certainly be a conflict of interest.
But figuratively, there is some definite ownage here. Stanton homered in a second straight game in Washington on Thursday, giving him 24 homers this season and nine career homers against the Nationals.
Those nine homers are give more than he has against any other major league team. He entered the day with a career .324/.427/.730 line with eight homers, six doubles and 16 RBI in 22 games against the Nationals.
Stanton, who won’t turn 22 until after the season, is up to 46 career homers now. If he can hit nine more in the second half — which seems like a very good bet — he’ll crack the top 10 all time for homers before age 22:
1. Mel Ott: 86
2. Tony Conigliaro: 84
3. Eddie Mathews: 72
4. Frank Robinson: 67
5. Alex Rodriguez: 64
6. Ken Griffey Jr.: 60
7. Al Kaline: 59
8. Mickey Mantle: 57
9. Bob Horner: 56
10. Ted Williams: 54
10. Andruw Jones: 54
Very possibly, he’ll join the top eight with a group of seven Hall of Famers and a guy in Conigliaro who may well have been that kind of player if not for a beaning.
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 5
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 45
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 47
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 37
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 36
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 90
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 8
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 98
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (99)