Jul 28, 2011, 1:46 PM EDT
Carlos Beltran‘s debut will be the big story tonight for the Giants, but they’ll also have Tim Lincecum on the mound after the two-time Cy Young winner missed his scheduled Tuesday start with a stomach ailment.
Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News reports that Lincecum played catch yesterday and felt strong, which along with the palatable evening temperature in Philadelphia convinced the Giants to let him start.
Lincecum’s modest 8-8 record masks what has been a fantastic season, with a 2.90 ERA and 146/52 K/BB ratio in 136 innings. He’s allowed zero or one run in five of his last six starts and ranks sixth among NL pitchers in ERA, fourth in strikeouts, and third in strikeouts per nine innings.
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PBT: Vogel downplays war of words with LeBron
- HBT: Camera catches Marlins' Sanabia with spitball
- PBT: Howard reportedly frustrated with D'Antoni
- PBT: Durant, Thunder send support to tornado victims