Jul 28, 2011, 1:46 PM EST
Carlos Beltran‘s debut will be the big story tonight for the Giants, but they’ll also have Tim Lincecum on the mound after the two-time Cy Young winner missed his scheduled Tuesday start with a stomach ailment.
Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News reports that Lincecum played catch yesterday and felt strong, which along with the palatable evening temperature in Philadelphia convinced the Giants to let him start.
Lincecum’s modest 8-8 record masks what has been a fantastic season, with a 2.90 ERA and 146/52 K/BB ratio in 136 innings. He’s allowed zero or one run in five of his last six starts and ranks sixth among NL pitchers in ERA, fourth in strikeouts, and third in strikeouts per nine innings.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)