Jul 28, 2011, 1:46 PM EDT
Carlos Beltran‘s debut will be the big story tonight for the Giants, but they’ll also have Tim Lincecum on the mound after the two-time Cy Young winner missed his scheduled Tuesday start with a stomach ailment.
Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News reports that Lincecum played catch yesterday and felt strong, which along with the palatable evening temperature in Philadelphia convinced the Giants to let him start.
Lincecum’s modest 8-8 record masks what has been a fantastic season, with a 2.90 ERA and 146/52 K/BB ratio in 136 innings. He’s allowed zero or one run in five of his last six starts and ranks sixth among NL pitchers in ERA, fourth in strikeouts, and third in strikeouts per nine innings.
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 0
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 8
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 30
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 21
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)