Jul 28, 2011, 1:46 PM EST
Carlos Beltran‘s debut will be the big story tonight for the Giants, but they’ll also have Tim Lincecum on the mound after the two-time Cy Young winner missed his scheduled Tuesday start with a stomach ailment.
Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News reports that Lincecum played catch yesterday and felt strong, which along with the palatable evening temperature in Philadelphia convinced the Giants to let him start.
Lincecum’s modest 8-8 record masks what has been a fantastic season, with a 2.90 ERA and 146/52 K/BB ratio in 136 innings. He’s allowed zero or one run in five of his last six starts and ranks sixth among NL pitchers in ERA, fourth in strikeouts, and third in strikeouts per nine innings.
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 8
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 44
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 18
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (96)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (84)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (79)
- Robinson Cano says he never asked for $300 million (70)