Jul 28, 2011, 1:46 PM EDT
Carlos Beltran‘s debut will be the big story tonight for the Giants, but they’ll also have Tim Lincecum on the mound after the two-time Cy Young winner missed his scheduled Tuesday start with a stomach ailment.
Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News reports that Lincecum played catch yesterday and felt strong, which along with the palatable evening temperature in Philadelphia convinced the Giants to let him start.
Lincecum’s modest 8-8 record masks what has been a fantastic season, with a 2.90 ERA and 146/52 K/BB ratio in 136 innings. He’s allowed zero or one run in five of his last six starts and ranks sixth among NL pitchers in ERA, fourth in strikeouts, and third in strikeouts per nine innings.
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 0
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 91
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 124
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (126)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (98)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (98)