Now that Beltran is gone, everyone wants … Ryan Ludwick?

Jul 28, 2011, 11:05 AM EST

Ludwick_Ryan

We figured that everyone looking for a bat at the deadline would wait until after Carlos Beltran got moved to swoop in for the second tier.  That seems to be happening at least with Ryan Ludwick, as Jon Heyman reports that the Phillies, Braves, Reds and Indians are all interested.

Maybe the Indians is old information given that they appear as though they’ll have Kosuke Fukudome by this evening, but I could see both Philly and Atlanta going for him.   Ludwick is no great shakes — he’s hitting .238 with 11 homers and 62 RBI this season — but he’d probably do a bit better out of San Diego. And, given that he’ll be a free agent this winter, it’s not like he’ll cost a ton.

An exciting move? Nah. But if you want a little power and don’t want to pay much for it, you could do worse.

1. thefalcon123 - Jul 28, 2011 at 11:16 AM

What Ludwick may lack in talent, he makes up for in making your team a lot cooler. This is the guy who changed his batting music from “Brass Monkey” to “I’m Not As Good As I Once Was” during a prolonged slump (this is awesome despite my hatred of Toby Keith).

• kopy - Jul 28, 2011 at 11:20 AM

Anyone who walks up to the Beastie Boys gets free cool points. I always loved Jason Kubel walking up to the intro of Sabotage.

2. Chris Fiorentino - Jul 28, 2011 at 11:20 AM

He isn’t as good as Dom Brown or John Mayberry Jr. He would be a wasted pickup in my opinion. Let the Braves have him.

• Jonny 5 - Jul 28, 2011 at 1:05 PM

Braves are the last team standing on Pence I heard. I’m pretty sure the package offered by Philly was probably better than it should have been. Worst non move ever? Maybe?

• Jonny 5 - Jul 28, 2011 at 1:09 PM

Ludwick is probably a fine hitter plugged in with the Phillies. And probably a better OF than Brown is now. I think he could be an improvement, it’s risky though.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jul 28, 2011 at 1:54 PM

He’s marginally better than Brown…and I would rather have Brown play and learn at the expense of a couple meaningless regular season games than stunt his growth AGAIN and put in a middling player like Ludwick. Maybe the Braves will get Pence and NinJr will swoop in and get Kemp from the Dodgers for a package including Worley and Brown.

3. halladaysbiceps - Jul 28, 2011 at 11:21 AM

Can’t imagine the Phillies being interested in Ludwick. He provides no significant upgrade over what they already have. The Braves could use him more than us.

• bigxrob - Jul 28, 2011 at 11:32 AM

easy with the “us” stuff there Mr. Bicepts
      (I’m keeping the “t”)

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 28, 2011 at 11:36 AM

I used “us” as a Philly fan base. What’s wrong with that? Do you take umbrage that I am not a member of the Phillies organization and yet used “us”.

What’s your problem? Keep the smart alec shit to yourself.

• bigxrob - Jul 28, 2011 at 11:39 AM

giddy up.

4. xpensivewinos - Jul 28, 2011 at 11:33 AM

Based on the headline, was anyone else expecting to see a picture of Billy Squier? :)

5. b7p19 - Jul 28, 2011 at 11:38 AM

YES!!! Who’s got prospects? Anybody? Hello…?

6. icanspeel - Jul 28, 2011 at 11:44 AM

He’s a decent hitter, was just a horrible fit for the Padres. After watching just about every Padres game since Ludwick joined the club there were countless balls he hit in Petco that would leave other parks, even 1 that hit the very top of the wall and bounced back in. He hits .255 with 6 HR and 39 RBI’s away from Petco compared to .213 5 HR 23 RBI’s at Petco.

7. chadh88 - Jul 28, 2011 at 12:03 PM

Yes, Ryan Ludwick. Remember when Cards fans wanted to revolt because we traded such a good clubhouse guy with decent power out of the 5 hole? Guess Berkman has made all those folks disappear this year.

• elmaquino - Jul 28, 2011 at 12:08 PM

He was traded for a par starter in Jake Westbrook. Berkman didn’t come until the offseason.

• thefalcon123 - Jul 28, 2011 at 12:22 PM

Yeah, Berkman really helped the failing offense that kept the Cardinals out of the postseason in 2010. Ludwick had a 125 OPS+ at the time of the trade. His replacement, Jon Jay, hit .244/.309/.314 after that trade. That was a biiiiiiiiiiiig problem.

• chadh88 - Jul 28, 2011 at 2:52 PM

I understand Berkman didn’t come until 2011. But people were still complaining about the trade and the fact that Westbrook only went 4-4 and Jay slumped saying we were screwed in the outfield for this year and that we would have made the playoffs last year had we kept Ludwick. And most people (myself included) were skeptical of Berkman being much of an improvement over Jay and thought he would be platooning left with him.

I was just saying that once the season started nobody in STL even mentions Ludwick as a loss anymore. I’m sure Westbrook’s 9-4 record helps, even though he has the highest ERA among our starters.

• paperlions - Jul 28, 2011 at 12:58 PM

No, I don’t remember that, because Ludwick wasn’t considered a good clubhouse guy because he was regularly arguing with LaRussa about playing time.

• chadh88 - Jul 28, 2011 at 2:53 PM

• chadh88 - Jul 28, 2011 at 2:55 PM

I get the feeling that arguing with LaRussa is pretty much status quo for being a Cardinal. You just have to know where the line is.

8. metalhead65 - Jul 28, 2011 at 12:03 PM

how shocking walt jocketty would be interested in yet another ex- cardinal. yea that will solve all the reds problems and get them on that hot streak dusty keeps talking about.

9. RK - Jul 28, 2011 at 12:20 PM

As a Tribe fan I’d rather have Ludwick than Fukudome. Sigh…

10. foreverchipper10 - Jul 28, 2011 at 2:14 PM

JD Drew, Rick Ankiel, now Ryan Ludwick. If the Braves bite on him t just proves their lust for former Cardinals outfielders who just aren’t that good.

• chadh88 - Jul 28, 2011 at 2:53 PM

So they will target Rasmus in a couple years.

• foreverchipper10 - Jul 28, 2011 at 6:07 PM

I actually wanted them to get Rasmus this year.

• chadh88 - Jul 28, 2011 at 8:41 PM

I would have been fine with Uggla and fifth starter for Rasmus.

11. kingbuccaneer - Jul 28, 2011 at 5:38 PM

BJ Upton is here for the taking. PLEASE take this POS off our team. Desmond Jennings is our man.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5256)
  2. M. Kemp (3127)
  3. W. Middlebrooks (2834)
  4. C. McGehee (2821)