Jul 28, 2011, 11:05 AM EDT
We figured that everyone looking for a bat at the deadline would wait until after Carlos Beltran got moved to swoop in for the second tier. That seems to be happening at least with Ryan Ludwick, as Jon Heyman reports that the Phillies, Braves, Reds and Indians are all interested.
Maybe the Indians is old information given that they appear as though they’ll have Kosuke Fukudome by this evening, but I could see both Philly and Atlanta going for him. Ludwick is no great shakes — he’s hitting .238 with 11 homers and 62 RBI this season — but he’d probably do a bit better out of San Diego. And, given that he’ll be a free agent this winter, it’s not like he’ll cost a ton.
An exciting move? Nah. But if you want a little power and don’t want to pay much for it, you could do worse.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)