Jul 28, 2011, 12:15 PM EDT
Carlos Beltran has signed off on the move to San Francisco, so the trade sending him from the Mets to the Giants for pitching prospect Zack Wheeler is now official. There’s a press release and everything.
Mets general manager Sandy Alderson gave Beltran a proper sendoff, saying:
We thank Carlos for all he has done for this organization–both on and off the field–and wish him well. It has been a pleasure for me personally to know and be able to work with Carlos. He has been the consummate professional.
Beltran is expected to be the Giants’ starting right fielder, with the Mets paying about $4 million of the $6 million remaining on his contract, choosing a consensus top-50 prospect in Wheeler over multiple lesser prospects or salary relief in what is a very shrewd move for Alderson given the circumstances.
Wheeler is a very high price to pay for two months of Beltran, but the switch-hitter will provide a huge boost to the Giants’ struggling lineup after hitting .289 with 15 homers, a league-leading 30 doubles, and a .904 OPS in 98 games for the Mets. Not only does San Francisco rank second-worst in the league in runs overall, since Buster Posey‘s ankle injury on May 25 the Giants have hit just .236 with an average of 3.5 runs per game.
- Felix Hernandez pounded as Mariners lose fourth straight 7
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 5
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (111)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (87)