Jul 28, 2011, 12:15 PM EDT
Carlos Beltran has signed off on the move to San Francisco, so the trade sending him from the Mets to the Giants for pitching prospect Zack Wheeler is now official. There’s a press release and everything.
Mets general manager Sandy Alderson gave Beltran a proper sendoff, saying:
We thank Carlos for all he has done for this organization–both on and off the field–and wish him well. It has been a pleasure for me personally to know and be able to work with Carlos. He has been the consummate professional.
Beltran is expected to be the Giants’ starting right fielder, with the Mets paying about $4 million of the $6 million remaining on his contract, choosing a consensus top-50 prospect in Wheeler over multiple lesser prospects or salary relief in what is a very shrewd move for Alderson given the circumstances.
Wheeler is a very high price to pay for two months of Beltran, but the switch-hitter will provide a huge boost to the Giants’ struggling lineup after hitting .289 with 15 homers, a league-leading 30 doubles, and a .904 OPS in 98 games for the Mets. Not only does San Francisco rank second-worst in the league in runs overall, since Buster Posey‘s ankle injury on May 25 the Giants have hit just .236 with an average of 3.5 runs per game.
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 17
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 9
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 24
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 37
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 20
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)