Jul 28, 2011, 12:15 PM EDT
Carlos Beltran has signed off on the move to San Francisco, so the trade sending him from the Mets to the Giants for pitching prospect Zack Wheeler is now official. There’s a press release and everything.
Mets general manager Sandy Alderson gave Beltran a proper sendoff, saying:
We thank Carlos for all he has done for this organization–both on and off the field–and wish him well. It has been a pleasure for me personally to know and be able to work with Carlos. He has been the consummate professional.
Beltran is expected to be the Giants’ starting right fielder, with the Mets paying about $4 million of the $6 million remaining on his contract, choosing a consensus top-50 prospect in Wheeler over multiple lesser prospects or salary relief in what is a very shrewd move for Alderson given the circumstances.
Wheeler is a very high price to pay for two months of Beltran, but the switch-hitter will provide a huge boost to the Giants’ struggling lineup after hitting .289 with 15 homers, a league-leading 30 doubles, and a .904 OPS in 98 games for the Mets. Not only does San Francisco rank second-worst in the league in runs overall, since Buster Posey‘s ankle injury on May 25 the Giants have hit just .236 with an average of 3.5 runs per game.
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 0
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 6
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 71
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 85
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)