Jul 28, 2011, 2:00 PM EDT
So you know, “substantive talks” are more than just “kicking the tires,” which in turn is more than someone just being “willing to listen.” Anyway.
Ken Rosenthal says that the Rangers are in said “substantive talks” with the Padres for closer Heath Bell. Given that they’ve basically thrown Neftali Feliz under the bus* during his recent struggles, it should not be at all surprising that they may be interested in Bell.
The Rangers could certainly be the front runners here. The Cardinals were interested, but they were apparently offering Colby Rasmus, so that theory is over. The Phillies were interested too, but there has been no activity there in recent days.
*Question for Nolan Ryan and Ron Washington: Now that you believe that Feliz does not have the mentality or intensity or whatever the hell it is you claim he lacks to be a closer, are you prepared to admit that he should have been a starter all along?
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 52
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 101
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 74
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 75
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 74
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)