Jul 28, 2011, 6:12 PM EDT
Jason Bay hadn’t doubled in 51 games before finally getting one when the Mets beat the Reds on Monday. He hit two more on Thursday, leading the Mets to a 10-9 victory that completed a four-game sweep in Cincinnati.
The Reds fell five games under .500 at 50-55 with the loss. They have the 19th-best record of the 30 teams in baseball. They four games worse than a Mets team that has already shed Francisco Rodriguez and Carlos Beltran. Yet, because they’re in the NL Central, the Reds can’t see themselves as sellers just yet.
Because while the Reds are in fourth place in the Central, they’re just 6 1/2 games behind a Brewers team that has lost Rickie Weeks. The Cardinals, in second, just took a downgrade in center field that could prove terribly costly if Lance Berkman gets hurt again. The Pirates, in third, are the Pirates, in third.
The Reds do need to shake things up a bit, though. They already made one move this week, shipping Jonny Gomes to Washington and calling up former first-round pick Yonder Alonso. They could go further by trading Ramon Hernandez and bringing up top prospect Devon Mesoraco.
Unfortunately, there isn’t much to do about the rotation besides hope for the best. The Reds entered spring training with perhaps the deepest rotation picture in baseball: Bronson Arroyo, Johnny Cueto, Edinson Volquez, Homer Bailey, Travis Wood, Mike Leake, Sam LeCure and Matt Maloney. Who possibly could have guessed that Dontrelle Willis would be one of their five starters come July? Bailey entered the day as one of the team’s two starters with a sub-4.00 ERA. Then he went and gave up nine runs to the Mets.
In any other division, the Reds would likely be dead in the water. In the NL Central, they pretty much have to attempt to stay in the race. On paper, they’re still right there with the Brewers and Cardinals, and if they prove incapable of hanging with those teams, then Dusty Baker is going to have plenty to answer for at season’s end.
- Dodgers acquire Mat Latos and Michael Morse from Marlins 11
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 26
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 41
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 31
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 50
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 64
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 76
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)