Jul 28, 2011, 11:44 AM EST
The good news is that he won’t need surgery. The bad news is that he’s been diagnosed with a “severe ankle sprain” and is expected to be out for “anywhere from 3-6 weeks,” according to assistant general manager Gord Ash.
Ash also told Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that Weeks “has a number of issues in the ankle” and “it’s tough to put an exact timetable on it,” which certainly suggests the injury is more than just a bad sprain. Haudricourt speculates about ligament damage that potentially could heal without surgery.
Even a six-week recovery timetable would have Weeks playing again in mid-September, but any setbacks along the way could mean missing the remainder of the season and in the meantime general manager Doug Melvin may need to acquire some infield help if the Brewers are going to keep pace in the NL Central race. Right now they’re a half-game up on the Cardinals and 1.5 games ahead of the Pirates.
Milwaukee was repeatedly linked to Dodgers utility man Jamey Carroll even before Weeks’ ankle injury, so adding him as a Weeks replacement makes a lot of sense.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 255
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (280)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)