Jul 28, 2011, 11:44 AM EDT
The good news is that he won’t need surgery. The bad news is that he’s been diagnosed with a “severe ankle sprain” and is expected to be out for “anywhere from 3-6 weeks,” according to assistant general manager Gord Ash.
Ash also told Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that Weeks “has a number of issues in the ankle” and “it’s tough to put an exact timetable on it,” which certainly suggests the injury is more than just a bad sprain. Haudricourt speculates about ligament damage that potentially could heal without surgery.
Even a six-week recovery timetable would have Weeks playing again in mid-September, but any setbacks along the way could mean missing the remainder of the season and in the meantime general manager Doug Melvin may need to acquire some infield help if the Brewers are going to keep pace in the NL Central race. Right now they’re a half-game up on the Cardinals and 1.5 games ahead of the Pirates.
Milwaukee was repeatedly linked to Dodgers utility man Jamey Carroll even before Weeks’ ankle injury, so adding him as a Weeks replacement makes a lot of sense.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 46
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 24
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)