Jul 28, 2011, 11:44 AM EDT
The good news is that he won’t need surgery. The bad news is that he’s been diagnosed with a “severe ankle sprain” and is expected to be out for “anywhere from 3-6 weeks,” according to assistant general manager Gord Ash.
Ash also told Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that Weeks “has a number of issues in the ankle” and “it’s tough to put an exact timetable on it,” which certainly suggests the injury is more than just a bad sprain. Haudricourt speculates about ligament damage that potentially could heal without surgery.
Even a six-week recovery timetable would have Weeks playing again in mid-September, but any setbacks along the way could mean missing the remainder of the season and in the meantime general manager Doug Melvin may need to acquire some infield help if the Brewers are going to keep pace in the NL Central race. Right now they’re a half-game up on the Cardinals and 1.5 games ahead of the Pirates.
Milwaukee was repeatedly linked to Dodgers utility man Jamey Carroll even before Weeks’ ankle injury, so adding him as a Weeks replacement makes a lot of sense.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 54
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)