Jul 28, 2011, 9:51 AM EDT
Alex Speier of WEEI.com reports that the Red Sox are “very concerned” that Clay Buchholz is dealing with a structural issue in his back — perhaps a broken bone as opposed to the muscle strain currently listed as what’s ailing him — and may not be back any time soon.
This is trouble, and may intensify the Sox’ quest to land an arm. There has been talk about Ubaldo Jimenez, but the price is probably still pretty high. Given that Boston has a three game lead in the East and a very comfortable cushion over the next best wild card contender behind the Yankees, it’s probably not the time to do something silly.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)