Jul 28, 2011, 9:51 AM EDT
Alex Speier of WEEI.com reports that the Red Sox are “very concerned” that Clay Buchholz is dealing with a structural issue in his back — perhaps a broken bone as opposed to the muscle strain currently listed as what’s ailing him — and may not be back any time soon.
This is trouble, and may intensify the Sox’ quest to land an arm. There has been talk about Ubaldo Jimenez, but the price is probably still pretty high. Given that Boston has a three game lead in the East and a very comfortable cushion over the next best wild card contender behind the Yankees, it’s probably not the time to do something silly.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)