The Red Sox are “very concerned” about Clay Buchholz

Jul 28, 2011, 9:51 AM EDT

buchholz getty wide Getty Images

Alex Speier of WEEI.com reports that the Red Sox are “very concerned” that Clay Buchholz is dealing with a structural issue in his back — perhaps a broken bone as opposed to the muscle strain currently listed as what’s ailing him —  and may not be back any time soon.

This is trouble, and may intensify the Sox’ quest to land an arm.  There has been talk about Ubaldo Jimenez, but the price is probably still pretty high.  Given that Boston has a three game lead in the East and a very comfortable cushion over the next best wild card contender behind the Yankees, it’s probably not the time to do something silly.

1. JB (the original) - Jul 28, 2011 at 10:06 AM

Last I heard he was feeling “normal soreness” after the 30 pitch simulated game he threw? When did that do a 180?

• JB (the original) - Jul 28, 2011 at 10:07 AM

sorry “bullpen session” on the 25th…..

• aceshigh11 - Jul 28, 2011 at 10:28 AM

I heard the same thing. Weird.

• dan1111 - Jul 28, 2011 at 10:50 AM

All of the public comments on his recent progress have been positive. It’s all based on comments from an anonymous source. So, it’s hard to know what to make of this story.

• Ari Collins - Jul 28, 2011 at 11:26 AM

Pretty sure there was an official update that had him missing a session and getting ready to see a specialist.

2. Ari Collins - Jul 28, 2011 at 10:27 AM

Getting Ubaldo is, in a lot of ways, less silly than getting a cheap(er) rental like Kuroda or Harden. Don’t need anyone for the regular season in order to make the playoffs (the team that could take them out of hte playoffs, L.A., is 8.5 GB), so the rentals would only be for the playoffs. Ubaldo would be for two more regular seasons as well, and, the Sox would hope, two more Octobers.

3. bigleagues - Jul 28, 2011 at 10:38 AM

The Sox are not getting Ubaldo. They might get Rich Harden or Kevin Slowey or Ted “Wilt Like a” Lilly – but they aren’t moving on Ubaldo unless they think the Yankees are getting him.

As a Red Sox fan, the injury to Bucholz is very concerning. As a Fantasy Manager on the other hand, I couldn’t be more psyched because last week I traded Bucky and a draft pick upgrade for Ogando. True Ogando is a converted reliever pitching in uncharted waters – but he is far better than the alternative.

• JB (the original) - Jul 28, 2011 at 10:50 AM

As a fantasy manager who drafted Josh Johnson and Buchholz, it sucks hard. Not only that they both go down, but also the ‘no timetable for return’ where they’re too good to drop, no one will trade for them, end up sitting on them for weeks only to (now) likely having wasted the roster spots for the last 2 months….

• bigleagues - Jul 28, 2011 at 11:06 AM

Oh, Josh Johnson, I feel your pain JB. Talk about a season of disappointment, on my other team Johnson fronted a rotation that included Ubaldo, Greinke, Chacin, Kennedy and Hudson.

Ubaldo and Greinke stunk out of the gate, Johnson goes on indefinite hiatus, Chacin is starting to melt and I’m left with Kennedy and Hudson as my two most consistent Starters, which hasn’t been a bad thing, but hardly the dominance I had dreamed of in April.

• errorcard - Jul 28, 2011 at 11:55 AM

You can probably drop Josh Johnson now — it’s being reported by a few sources that the Feesh are shutting him down for the year.

• JB (the original) - Jul 28, 2011 at 12:05 PM

already did errorcard, couple days ago when they said they were shutting him down for the season; 14 team league though, not a lot on the FA market and a per transaction fee that makes ‘pitch and ditch’ a spendy proposition.

4. pisano - Jul 28, 2011 at 10:39 AM

Ari … I wouldn’t count on Jimenez, Colorado is asking a kings ransom for him. If the Yankees passed on him, and they’re in much more need of pitching than the Sox, that in itself is saying that what the Rockies are asking is unreasonable. The way I heard it they want four top prospects for him and that’s not going to happen.

• Ari Collins - Jul 28, 2011 at 12:01 PM

Yeah, definitely not counting on him. He’d be a pretty amazing addition to the ballclub, for this year and and future, but I’m more than fine with the current team

• deathmonkey41 - Jul 28, 2011 at 1:48 PM

That’s crazy to ask for Jimenez. I wouldn’t even give up our top four prospects for King Felix- and he lists more than one half of a great season to his resume.

5. bigleagues - Jul 28, 2011 at 11:10 AM

Actually having read the article by Alex Spier, I am way less concerned than if I just went on the blurb that Craigers posted – clearly honing in on the most negative aspect of the column, and not giving full weight to the fact that ‘officially’ this is a precautionary visit (before the trade deadline) to make sure that Buchholz has a good chance of moving forward and being successful (as opposed to Buchholz being a hopeless cause for the remainder of this season – thus increasing the pressure on the Sox to land an impact Pitcher for the stretch run).

6. patsandsox - Jul 28, 2011 at 11:12 AM

Since this story comes from the famous “unnamed sources” I think its just way to get us all to read it.

I will wait to hear from the Sox themselves. I have to admit I am concerned about Buchholz. Every time I see Lackey pitch my concern grows. You have to figure a playoff rotation now would be:
    Becket – Win, Lester – Win, Lackey – Loss, Wakefield – depends on what the knuckleball is doing that day.

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey