Jul 28, 2011, 12:34 PM EDT
Carlos Quentin‘s name has popped up in rumor gulch a few times over the past 24 hours. The Phillies are said to be interested. I presume the Braves would be too. Now Danny Knobler tweets that the Red Sox would “almost certainly” be interested in the White Sox’ slugger too.
Only problem with that: Bob Nightengale of USA Today says, that the White Sox plan to keep him. So it’s kinda moot.
He would be quite a pickup, however. He’s hitting .265/.356/.516 with 20 homers and he’s under team control through next year. Anyone who needs a bat should be interested if and when the White Sox take themselves off the Quentin do not call list.
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 6
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 15
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 1
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 4
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 57
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 42
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 20
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 69
- The Big Unit: Wide Angle Watcher (90)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (89)
- Chipper Jones will fight you if you insult his “girl” (83)
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base (81)
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. (76)