Jul 28, 2011, 12:34 PM EDT
Carlos Quentin‘s name has popped up in rumor gulch a few times over the past 24 hours. The Phillies are said to be interested. I presume the Braves would be too. Now Danny Knobler tweets that the Red Sox would “almost certainly” be interested in the White Sox’ slugger too.
Only problem with that: Bob Nightengale of USA Today says, that the White Sox plan to keep him. So it’s kinda moot.
He would be quite a pickup, however. He’s hitting .265/.356/.516 with 20 homers and he’s under team control through next year. Anyone who needs a bat should be interested if and when the White Sox take themselves off the Quentin do not call list.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 4
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 11
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)