Jul 28, 2011, 12:34 PM EST
Carlos Quentin‘s name has popped up in rumor gulch a few times over the past 24 hours. The Phillies are said to be interested. I presume the Braves would be too. Now Danny Knobler tweets that the Red Sox would “almost certainly” be interested in the White Sox’ slugger too.
Only problem with that: Bob Nightengale of USA Today says, that the White Sox plan to keep him. So it’s kinda moot.
He would be quite a pickup, however. He’s hitting .265/.356/.516 with 20 homers and he’s under team control through next year. Anyone who needs a bat should be interested if and when the White Sox take themselves off the Quentin do not call list.
- Grant Balfour may file a grievance over Orioles’ decision to back out of contract 20
- Former Major Leaguer Gabe Kapler wants collisions to remain part of the game 31
- Carlos Beltran introduced by the Yankees, takes a shot at the Mets 35
- The Grant Balfour-Orioles deal is dead 25
- Kevin Youkilis is going to play in Japan 31
- Hall of Fame voting expert: Greg Maddux makes it. No one else does. (105)
- I don’t know what the best baseball song is, but it ain’t John freakin’ Fogerty (101)
- Happy Birthday, Ty Cobb! (89)
- ‘Tis the season for people acting incredibly dumb (74)
- The Yankees agree to a one-year, $2 million deal with Brian Roberts (74)