The Yankees like Hiroki Kuroda, but he likes L.A.

Jul 28, 2011, 9:15 AM EDT

Houston Astros v Los Angeles Dodgers Getty Images

Joel Sherman reports that the Yankees have been in “regular contact” with the Dodgers about starter Hiroki Kuroda.  Kuroda, however, told MLB.com last night that “My honest feeling is that I can’t fathom wearing another uniform than the Dodgers uniform right now.”

And given that he has a full no-trade clause, he doesn’t have to wear any other uniform if he doesn’t want to.

Kuroda would be a good get for any number of teams given his a 3.11 ERA and 103/36 K/BB ratio in 133 innings. But with that no-trade clause and various rumblings about how happy he is in Los Angeles, I’m skeptical that any deal can happen with the guy.

1. uyf1950 - Jul 28, 2011 at 9:22 AM

…then let him stay in LA. Any team not just the Yankees should only want players that want to play for them. That’s just my opinion. Maybe the White Sox will decide to trade Danks. If it’s meant to be, it will be and you play the hand you’re dealt.

• seattlej - Jul 28, 2011 at 9:38 AM

Ha! The reason that players want to play for the Yankees (or any other team for that matter) is the fact that they offer the most $. Yes, money talks. I’m sure that if the Yanks throw enough money at Kuroda to waive that no-trade clause that he’ll be wearing pinstripes in no time. And I think Kuroda should demand an additional payout for waiving the clause, as he specifically requested the clause in exchange for signing a below market contract last offseason.

• dodger88 - Jul 28, 2011 at 9:40 AM

In general I agree that money is a big motivator but I will give Kuroda the benefit of doubt that his not motivated by money in this instance and wants to stay in L.A. due to his being comfortable.

• pisano - Jul 28, 2011 at 9:46 AM

uyf1950… I like a Danks deal, not Kuroda. The Yankees need a lefty starter and a shut down lefty reliever. Kuroda is too old for one thing, you’d think the Yankees would have learned that they need to get younger. If Posada, Jeter and soon to follow Arod haven’t taught them anything about getting or holding onto older players maybe they’ll never learn.Lets hope they make a deal for another bat, Andruw Jones has not done the job.

• uyf1950 - Jul 28, 2011 at 9:53 AM

My friend, how are you. You seem to be maintaining a low profile. I like the idea of a Danks deal as well. And who knows what the White Sox are thinking, never say never. I’ts probably to much to ask for but I’d settle for another lefty starter and another offense bat. The bullpen can wait, in my opinion.

2. dodger88 - Jul 28, 2011 at 9:38 AM

Can’t say I am too disappointed. I don’t think the Dodgers would have received great value and I would like to see Kuroda back next year.

3. Ari Collins - Jul 28, 2011 at 11:28 AM

The Yankees like Kuroda, but he likes L.A. If L.A. likes the Yankees, the Like Triangle can be complete. Does anyone like Frank McCourt? Who LIKE LIKES the Yankees?

4. deathmonkey41 - Jul 28, 2011 at 11:44 AM

I would seriously have concerns about acquiring a guy who rather stay with a losing team and ownership that is a mess rather than go to a contender and compete in a pennant race for the rest of the year.

• Ari Collins - Jul 28, 2011 at 12:04 PM

Playing on a winning team isn’t everything. He may prefer the city of L.A. and the west coast for any number of personal reasons. Not to mention feeling loyal to his team and teammates.

• deathmonkey41 - Jul 28, 2011 at 12:50 PM

That may be true, but if that means more to him than winning and is hesitant about coming to a big media market to compete in a pennant race, I would be concerned about acquiring him- that’s all I’m saying. I’m not condemning the guy for it- just saying I would have my reservations about trading away young talent for him.

• Ari Collins - Jul 28, 2011 at 1:09 PM

We don’t know that he’s hesitant to come because it’s a big media market or a pennant race.

If that’s true, though, of course you might be a bit hesitant.

5. APBA Guy - Jul 28, 2011 at 12:41 PM

Hard to know what precisely motivates any one individual player. Playing for the Yankees obviously improves his chances of going to the playoffs and possibly the WS. That won’t happen now or in the near future for the Dodgers, and at 34, Kuroda’s tomorrows are limited in the sport. Also, the weather in SoCal, the Asian aware atmosphere, the less rabid press, and the big, pitcher-friendly stadium all say “stay here”. I can definitely see a niche pitcher who’s settled into a good situation wanting to stay. And if he’s not that motivated by a chance to win it all, the Yankees should drop him as an option. I think to play well for the Yankees, you have to be supremely competitive. Winning it all has to be your primary goal. Otherwise, your goals are not in sync with the team’s goals, and unless you have unlimited talent and a very thick skin, that spells trouble for you.

• pisano - Jul 28, 2011 at 3:03 PM

Very good point, but what’s even more of a reason to stay away from him is he’s 36 not 34.

6. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jul 28, 2011 at 5:11 PM

but do they like like him?

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate