Watching games on Twitter: “I’ll never watch another game alone”

Jul 28, 2011, 1:35 PM EDT

Twitter logo

Pittsburgh Tribune-Review writer Joe Starkey just got on Twitter ten days ago, but during the Braves-Pirates 19-inning marathon/atrocity the other night he discovered just how fun it is to watch a game with a Twitter window open:

I’m new to this Twitter stuff. I could never understand why anyone needed a laptop while watching a game. When fellow Trib columnist Dejan Kovacevic introduced me to Twitter 10 days ago, I was frightened. Now, I’m enlightened. I’ll never watch another game alone.

Read his column to know why.  I don’t think he and follow many of the same people, but he does a good job explaining the dynamic of watching a game with a few hundred Twitter friends.

I know there are a ton of you who still look askance at Twitter and wonder why anyone would want to watch a game with a bunch of virtual friends cracking wise.  But really, I’m to the point now where I have a hard time watching a game without that.

1. sdelmonte - Jul 28, 2011 at 1:43 PM

I like watching games alone. I have done for a very long time. I am sure there is something to be said for sports as a group watching activity, but it’s something that doesn’t appeal to me. I like essentially have the TV or radio for company and the rest of the world elsewhere.

Guess I am very weird this way.

• baseballisboring - Jul 29, 2011 at 3:47 AM

not to sound arrogant or anything, but i’m the same way, mainly because my friends just don’t know jack about the sport they’re watching, even if they’re avid followers of it. i just can’t enjoy a game with people bagging on JD drew and talking about how josh reddick is the next heyward-esque superstar because he’s hitting well after 100 at bats. take the game in anyway you like, but i don’t mind watching it alone at all.

2. Chris Fiorentino - Jul 28, 2011 at 1:47 PM

I did it for the playoffs last year. I can’t see doing it for a regular season game, as it would definitely get monotonous to me. I guess that’s probably because I don’t do this for a living and, as I have always said, I am not really a baseball fan…I am a Phillies fan. When they have the night off, I don’t even look for baseball on the TV or twitter or anywhere else.

3. kopy - Jul 28, 2011 at 2:10 PM

I used to follow a couple of my team’s writers/bloggers for updates when I was away from the game. It gave a better picture and used less battery than refreshing a web page with a box score all the time, but now I love having it handy while watching the game too just for the multiple opinions and jokes.

4. seanmk - Jul 28, 2011 at 2:59 PM

i can’t watch a phillies game without having twitter open. i agree with the author, his ideas are intriguing to me and i wish to subscribe to his newsletter.

5. foreverchipper10 - Jul 28, 2011 at 5:14 PM

I think I may sign up for a Twitter account strictly to follow people and get updates and whatnot.

Orioles turn AL East on its head