Jul 29, 2011, 6:13 PM EDT
Cust had just three homers and 23 RBI in 225 at-bats for the Mariners. He was getting on base at a .344 clip, but his slugging percentage of .329 was barely above Ichiro’s .323 mark. (Of course, Ichiro’s OBP is just .317, so Cust did have more than 30 points of OPS on him.)
But Cust can’t offer anything defensively, and since he’s managed only 16 homers in 574 at-bats over the last two years, he may have trouble finding work again in the majors. He needs to some legitimate pop in combination with his willingness to take a walk, because with his lack of speed and the occasional mistake on the basepaths, he’s not going to score from first base very often.
Cust’s departure clears the way for the Mariners to give Wily Mo Pena a shot in a week or two. For now, they may shift Mike Carp to the DH spot more frequently, opening up playing time in left field for Greg Halman.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)