Aramis Ramirez shuts the door on trade rumors

Jul 29, 2011, 6:30 PM EDT

Aramis Ramirez Getty Images

After weeks of talk that he’d use his no-trade clause to block any deal out of Chicago, Aramis Ramirez appeared to leave the door open for a deal on Thursday by saying “if they’re looking to rebuild, I can’t fit in, so we’ll see.”

On Friday, though, he removed any doubt about his desire to remain with the Cubs.  According to Ramirez, he was asked what he wanted to do by GM Jim Hendry a couple of weeks ago and he said he wanted to stay.  Hendry has respected that and declined to shop him.

While reiterating his preferance to remain a Cub, Ramirez didn’t rule out considering a deal if one was presented to him.  However, he isn’t on the market at the moment, and the first thing he said to reporters tonight, according to MLB.com’s Carrie Muskat, is that he isn’t going anywhere.

1. willcoop - Jul 29, 2011 at 7:01 PM

Hell,why should he go to a contending team when he can stay fat, not have to exhibit any leadership, not have to work hard and just get paid to be mediocre. This guy, if pushed could be a real quality player, but he has never worked as hard as he can and he has never been a leader.

2. rickditka - Jul 29, 2011 at 7:59 PM

well stated willcoop. only a lazy piece of crap would not want or need the excitement of a playoff run. the last thing he wants is to be expected to play hard and play well. he’s the new Mr. Cub.

3. originalsmasher - Jul 30, 2011 at 2:43 AM

Interesting comments . So let me add this.. I have felt that AA has been the best 3rd baseman the Cubs have had since Bill Madlock. (sorry, but I was never a Ron Santo fan. and I met the man) but I have also always felt that he (AA) is one of the STUPIDIST!!! Players I have ever seen! So yes, if he had just taken a little stock in himself & put in a little work, he could have been a hall of famer!

4. willcoop - Jul 30, 2011 at 10:44 AM

Original, you are so right. When he was a kid, the only tool missing out of his toolbox was blazing speed. He could rake and pick it over at third, but somewhere he got lost in what it takes to be great and develop a work ethic. He is never in great shape and has gotten heavier over the years. I know this because I was an intern in spring training with the Cubs and he was by far one of the laziest players I have ever seen. Had all the tools, and bat speed that was better than Sammy Sosa and Juan Gonzalez. He just did not want to work. But worse, he never wanted to lead and those guys looked up to him, he just did not want to open his mouth. What a waste.

5. doorsdoors - Aug 11, 2011 at 11:18 AM

Harsh words, but hard to disagree really.

Are you SURE he is the “STUPIDIST” though? :D

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3692)