Jul 29, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT
Barry Zito is healthy and on track to take his next turn in the rotation Sunday, but the Giants may not let him make the start after coughing up six runs in seven innings his last time out.
San Francisco has “to be announced” listed as Sunday’s scheduled starter and manager Bruce Bochy explained that “we’re leaving it open for now” when asked about Zito’s status.
Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News notes that there are no other options to start on the current roster, as Jonathan Sanchez just threw six innings at Triple-A and the other starter candidates won’t be fully rested. He speculates that the Giants could call up 23-year-old prospect Eric Surkamp from Double-A, with Zito being moved to the bullpen for the final two months.
Under normal circumstances it might be natural to speculate about Zito being traded, but if the Giants could have traded him without eating a huge portion of the $46 million he’s owed between 2012 and 2013 they would have done so a long time ago. Zito has a 5.24 ERA in eight starts overall this year after going 1-8 with a 6.14 ERA during the final two months of last season.
- Carlos Gomez diagnosed with sprained wrist 2
- Michael Wacha to start Thursday for the Cardinals 4
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 50
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 50
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 34
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 61
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 48
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (221)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (76)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)