Jul 29, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT
Barry Zito is healthy and on track to take his next turn in the rotation Sunday, but the Giants may not let him make the start after coughing up six runs in seven innings his last time out.
San Francisco has “to be announced” listed as Sunday’s scheduled starter and manager Bruce Bochy explained that “we’re leaving it open for now” when asked about Zito’s status.
Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News notes that there are no other options to start on the current roster, as Jonathan Sanchez just threw six innings at Triple-A and the other starter candidates won’t be fully rested. He speculates that the Giants could call up 23-year-old prospect Eric Surkamp from Double-A, with Zito being moved to the bullpen for the final two months.
Under normal circumstances it might be natural to speculate about Zito being traded, but if the Giants could have traded him without eating a huge portion of the $46 million he’s owed between 2012 and 2013 they would have done so a long time ago. Zito has a 5.24 ERA in eight starts overall this year after going 1-8 with a 6.14 ERA during the final two months of last season.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (88)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)