Jul 29, 2011, 3:28 PM EDT
This isn’t exactly breaking news, but Steve Dilbeck of the Los Angeles Times has an interesting article about just how far the Dodgers’ attendance has fallen this season.
Dilbeck notes that their official attendance is down 8,100 fans per game, but even that’s misleading because the total is tickets sold rather than actual fans in seats.
While in California for the SABR convention a few weeks ago I went to two weeknight games at Dodger Stadium and the place couldn’t possibly have been even half full. At most there were 20,000 people there, yet the announced attendance was over 30,000 and the Dodgers’ listed attendance is 36,622 per game, which ranks 10th-best in MLB.
Dilbeck estimates that Dodger Stadium has been at least 25 percent empty “most nights.” In terms of revenue generated strictly from ticket sales that may not hurt the Dodgers, but it does hurt when it comes to projecting sales for next season and for additional revenue that comes from parking or food or beer or souvenirs.
That the Dodgers are a mess right now is obviously no secret, but the scope of the mess might be even bigger than most people realize.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 2
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 4
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 83
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 51
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (85)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)