Jul 29, 2011, 3:28 PM EDT
This isn’t exactly breaking news, but Steve Dilbeck of the Los Angeles Times has an interesting article about just how far the Dodgers’ attendance has fallen this season.
Dilbeck notes that their official attendance is down 8,100 fans per game, but even that’s misleading because the total is tickets sold rather than actual fans in seats.
While in California for the SABR convention a few weeks ago I went to two weeknight games at Dodger Stadium and the place couldn’t possibly have been even half full. At most there were 20,000 people there, yet the announced attendance was over 30,000 and the Dodgers’ listed attendance is 36,622 per game, which ranks 10th-best in MLB.
Dilbeck estimates that Dodger Stadium has been at least 25 percent empty “most nights.” In terms of revenue generated strictly from ticket sales that may not hurt the Dodgers, but it does hurt when it comes to projecting sales for next season and for additional revenue that comes from parking or food or beer or souvenirs.
That the Dodgers are a mess right now is obviously no secret, but the scope of the mess might be even bigger than most people realize.
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 58
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 17
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 32
- Meet the Matz! The Mets call up Steven Matz to make his MLB debut 11
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 23
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)