Everybody Wang Chung tomorrow morning!

Jul 29, 2011, 11:35 AM EDT

wang getty wide Getty Images

Chien-Ming Wang is making his first major league start in a couple of years tomorrow.  This will be cause for great celebration in Taipei:

Citizens have been invited to gather at Taipei City Hall to watch a live stream of the Nationals home game against the New York Mets live at 7 p.m. EST (7 a.m. Taiwan time), Taipei city government announced Friday. The city government will co-host a “party” that begins at 6 a.m. for fans to cheer for the Taiwanese right-hander in front of a large screen as three local sports channels will also begin their broadcasts. Fans are encouraged to support Wang with body painting or posters, said the city sports office. Fifteen Nationals jerseys will be given away to the most creative displays. The first 150 people to arrive at the event will also be offered free breakfast.

Eh, I probably wouldn’t go even if I was there.  I hear it’s gonna be a total Wang party.

(link via BTF)

1. IdahoMariner - Jul 29, 2011 at 11:39 AM

I can’t even imagine what it must be like to be an athlete from Taiwan, or Japan, or China, or Korea — so much attention, so much of the country’s hopes riding on you. It’s kind of insane. I mean, I get it, and appreciate that it’s a big deal, but it seems all out of proportion to what it is. That’s got to be hard to take, and live up to.

• baseballisboring - Jul 29, 2011 at 4:34 PM

Very true. He’s making his first appearance back from an injury for a bad team…and they’re talking about body painting!?!?

2. Ari Collins - Jul 29, 2011 at 11:40 AM

I… can’t believe that’s true. Wow.

3. pbsenerchia - Jul 29, 2011 at 11:41 AM

It’s today, Craig – Wang on the bump tonight.

*sigh* bloggers – no editorial standards.

• ThatGuy - Jul 29, 2011 at 11:47 AM

Nope, tomorrow only. Its 11:45 PM in Taiwan right now. So at 7 tonight, USA time. It will be 7 AM tomorrow there.

*sigh* Blog commentors have no editorial standards.

• pbsenerchia - Jul 29, 2011 at 12:35 PM

In a blog post dated July 29, on an American website, it says “Chien-Ming Wang is making his first major league start in a couple of years tomorrow.” This is factually incorrect, because his start is tonight, July 29.

Whereby your second point is, in fact, correct.

• ThatGuy - Jul 29, 2011 at 12:58 PM

*Facepalm*
        A) see the .tw as opposed to the .com in the URL. Means it is a Taiwanise website.
        B) See the time associate with that blog post. 19:46, that means it was 7:45 PM in Taiwan when it was written, which is about 5 or 6 hours ago.
        C) Following the first two facts, when it is 7 PM EST here, and Wang takes the mound. It will be around 7 AM in Taiwan, on JULY 30th.(hint: That is tomorrow in Taiwan when that was written)

• ThatGuy - Jul 29, 2011 at 1:00 PM

You can also look at the first line of the story, which generally states where it was written or local to. It says Taipei. That kind of happens to be in Taiwan

• ThatGuy - Jul 29, 2011 at 1:09 PM

*FACEPALM Myself*
        I see what your getting at, Craig took his intro from the story not realizing time difference. I shall now go hang my head in shame.

• pbsenerchia - Jul 29, 2011 at 1:12 PM

Guy, I’m not talking about the Taiwanese post, I’m talking about Craig’s post – and quoting Craig’s post. I never clicked on the link, nor referred to it or the quoted copy. You’re over-complicating it, and it’s rather silly to suggest that I don’t comprehend time zones, don’t you think? Also, patronizing to the point of being offensive.

So to review:

1) Craig’s post is datelined “Jul 29, 2011, 11:35 AM EDT”
        2) First line of Craig’s post: “Chien-Ming Wang is making his first major league start in a couple of years tomorrow.”
        3) This is not, in context, correct, as it would not be correct if I asked him what today is and he replied “Saturday”. His start is tonight, which in Taiwan is the morning of July 30.

Save your facepalm for when you’re actually correct, and your condescension for children and imbeciles.

• pbsenerchia - Jul 29, 2011 at 1:16 PM

Sorry dude! Wrote my last post before I saw yours. No worries :-)

• ThatGuy - Jul 29, 2011 at 1:17 PM

Boy do I feel sheepish…

• pbsenerchia - Jul 29, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Same here. Craig, how’s that edit/delete function coming along?

4. halladaysbiceps - Jul 29, 2011 at 11:44 AM

I will honor his return start by ordering a quart of beef lo mein, a quart of wonton soup and an egg roll to celebrate his return. I don’t do body paintings or posters.

• nategearhart - Jul 29, 2011 at 12:18 PM

Taiwan, dude. They don’t eat that stuff. It’d be like someone saying they’re gonna eat a Philly Cheese Steak in honor of a Pirates game.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 29, 2011 at 12:21 PM

Sure they do. Taiwan and China share a common culture. Taiwan is a disputed territory of China and is a small island located off of mainland China. Don’t you think they eat the same foods?

• nategearhart - Jul 29, 2011 at 12:30 PM

I could be wrong, but I think their cuisine is more Japanese-influenced than Chinese. But I’m pretty sure they don’t even eat “egg rolls” in China – at least not the ones we like. Maybe at the Chinese county fairs.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 29, 2011 at 12:37 PM

I sometimes watch cooking shows as a secondary hobby from baseball (lol)! Anyway, believe it or not, they do eat egg rolls in China. As a matter of fact, most of what you get at a Chinese restaurant in the U.S. is pretty much the same as they eat in China. Are there different alterations? Sure. But, it’s basically the same stuff.

As far as Taiwan goes, it is much more influenced by China than Japan. Taiwan/China were mortal enemies of Japan in centuries past.

• wlschneider09 - Jul 29, 2011 at 12:48 PM

I dont think so HB, every Chinese person I’ve worked with says the american version of chinese food is only loosely related (at best) to the cuisine in one small part of China.

• nategearhart - Jul 29, 2011 at 1:59 PM

I’m not sure I understand why people are disliking comments about Chinese food…
        Either way, whatever they are eating is probably scrumptious.

• gogigantos - Jul 30, 2011 at 9:06 AM

OK, here it isn’t won ton, that is Japanese. In Chinese the same is hun dun tan. It is nu ro mien, beef noodles, here. A lot of Japanese and Chinese food is shared. Egg rolls are found and vary tremendously, you would recognize one, you might not like them all though. I am not fond of the desert versions, or Asian deserts in general.

In general guys,,, stick to baseball,, beyond debates about pie, which clearly rules, and cake, try to stay away from food discussions OK, we just are not really up on the subject.

Defining cultural influences on Taiwan isn’t too easy either, and trying to define politically what is Taiwan is a blood sport among those who know and care, so, please, leave that alone. I will say that this beautiful island and wonderful people are mostly Chinese. My wife’s grandmother, however, does not speak Chinese but Japanese and her tribal language and is tattooed on her forehead.

Sorry, I will shut up. They are excited more than a bit about Wang Chien-Min returning to the show. He is something of a national treasure.

5. southpaw2k - Jul 29, 2011 at 11:47 AM

Would a “total Wang party” essential be the same as a “sausage fest”?

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 29, 2011 at 11:53 AM

Comment of the day. Perfect. No one beats this comment.

LOL!!!!

• gogigantos - Jul 30, 2011 at 8:52 AM

here in Taiwan, sausage fest has to be explained,, Wang party is clearly a party for the pitcher without many girls around, though quite a few girls will watch baseball because of this guy. I am curious to see how many become Nats fans, most of them really like Jeter,, and that is cuz they just think he is cute and has the cutest butt, their words, not mine and could care not a bit for how well he plays defense or if he plays at all really,, not sad because girls liking baseball is a good thing. Lots and lots of girls at the local games. The pro league here isn’t terrible, maybe AA ball and a few have passed through here on their way to or from MLB.
      It is Wang Chien-Min, last name first in Chinese.

6. cur68 - Jul 29, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Does Charlie Furbush know about this? I feel that Furbush should be made aware.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 29, 2011 at 11:55 AM

Cur!!!! I don’t remember reading your take on the Rasmus deal. What is your opinion?

• cur68 - Jul 29, 2011 at 12:07 PM

Good morning, Dr’Army. Spudchukar and I had a word or 2 about The Rasmus Family, Part Deux. Essentially: the Beaver Men don’t need no drama. If the kid plays, his old man isn’t a PIA, and he can be coached then I’m ok with it. Otherwise, if this turns into a soap opera, I think we should bundle him together with his old man, Frank Francisco, and a sack of balls for a closer. Like Heath Bell or someone. The Jays do not need Rasmus as much as Rasmus needs the Jays so he better work is a$$ off.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 29, 2011 at 12:12 PM

Cur,

Has it been suggested in Blue Jays circles that they can turn around and trade Rasmus for the relief help they need before Sunday’s deadline?

• cur68 - Jul 29, 2011 at 12:29 PM

Hey, good morning, ‘Biceps. As for such a deal being considered in the Jay’s circle, only if you consider me a part of the ‘circle’ and frankly I’m more of a square. I haven’t heard a soul but me suggesting such a deal but I’ve kind of got a ‘feel’ for AA now. After he pulled a fast one to get Wells over to the Angels, signed Esdcobar & Bautista to multi year deals and played fast and loose to get Rasmus for essentially a good pitcher and a dud (Fraser and Dotel) I wouldn’t put it past the guy to pull the old wildcat option and hike Rasmus to another team for a closer. Especially since they have the useless piece of skin in a uniform that is Frank Francisco to ‘sweeten’ such deal. Do I really think such a thing is likely? No. Would I be surprised if it did? No. Do I hope it happens? HELL yes. So this is more about me wishing than anything.

7. bigleagues - Jul 29, 2011 at 11:57 AM

With the activation of Wang from the DL, I can now boast having had Adcock, Furbush and Wang on my active roster this year.

He he ehehe eheh ehe eh he. Wang. Hehehehe heh ehe heh, Furbush. Yeah yeah, he ehe eh, Adcock.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 29, 2011 at 11:59 AM

With the Phillies actively shoping Brian Bocock, would the Nats be interested? Would you?

• bigleagues - Jul 29, 2011 at 1:25 PM

Hehehe you said Bo-COCK . . . hehe ehe ehe yeah yeah!

I’d claim that Bocock guy the second he gets a MLB gig!

My dream is to have this roster: Wang-wei Lin, Matt Bush, Phillip Wunderlich, Jered Head, Miles Head, Brian Peacock, Zach Cox, Michael Wickswat (just sounds like it belongs here – and this one too:) Brooks Pounders, Josh Smoker, Tobi Stoner, Davis Stoneburner, and Jay Gayhart (not that there’s anything wrong with that),

Honorable Mention: Beamer Weems – I mean is that a cool name orwhat?!

8. lampdwellr - Jul 29, 2011 at 12:11 PM

At this point it seems unlikely that Wang will ever be better than Dick Pole.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 29, 2011 at 12:16 PM

I looked up both of their career stats. Dick Pole was an awful pitcher. The only thing they have in common is their height, which is 6’3″. You could say that Wang is as big as Dick.

• lampdwellr - Jul 29, 2011 at 1:07 PM

Wang is gonna get rocked tonight. Just hope he doesn’t develop a blister.

• bigleagues - Jul 29, 2011 at 1:57 PM

Wang’s head is likely to be throbbing in that dark humidity, let’s hope he can hold out until it’s time for to be relieved.

• southpaw2k - Jul 29, 2011 at 2:16 PM

Yes, but did Dick have as much girth as Wang?

• bigleagues - Jul 29, 2011 at 1:32 PM

I’m partial to Dick Pole because he was a Red Sox, but the all-time greatest baseball name will forever and always be:

Rusty Kuntz

9. phukyouk - Jul 29, 2011 at 12:29 PM

Craig,

I hope you are proud of yourself for what you started here. NBC would never allow such Schmutz on their airwaves… for shame

10. phukyouk - Jul 29, 2011 at 12:29 PM

BTW is Wang and Furbush get together and have a kid would he be called a bastard(o)?

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 29, 2011 at 12:42 PM

Of course, if they were not married at the time of the kid’s birth, it would be named Bastardo. But, if the were married, wouldn’t the name Dick Kuntz be more appropriate?

11. yournuts - Jul 29, 2011 at 12:34 PM

Chien-Ming Wang was a very good pitcher when he pitched for the Yankees. I believe he got hurt in a interleague game and went downhill quickly. I miss him and wish him luck and hope he has good luck for the Nationals.

12. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jul 29, 2011 at 12:35 PM

at least Wang Chung got it right…

13. foreverchipper10 - Jul 29, 2011 at 12:56 PM

If his last start told me anything don’t expect much out of this one.

• bigleagues - Jul 29, 2011 at 1:59 PM

His last start wasn’t good, but the 5 Starts before that were. And even in this last start his velocity remained up (93-95). He’s been making his pitches and inducing a ton of ground balls.

• foreverchipper10 - Jul 29, 2011 at 2:07 PM

In his last AAA start he induced very few ground balls. Everything was up and hit hard.

• bigleagues - Jul 29, 2011 at 4:57 PM

Groundouts-flyouts: Wang 5-4

OK, so that does not represent “a ton” of Ground Outs, but it doesn’t represent “very few” necessarily. He also had 96 Pitches/63 Strikes, 5 K’s, 1BB to go with that less than stellar 5IP, 5ER.

In his previous Start at Syracuse he had 9 GO/ 2FO, 91 Pitches/62 Strikes, 4 K’s, 1 BB, 5.3IP, 3 ER.

He earned his call up, if his stuff is working, he has no discomfort, then I’ll place a bet that he’ll have even better results at the MLB level.

14. gogigantos - Jul 30, 2011 at 8:46 AM

Yes, they are a bit excited here about Wang Chien Min’s return. It is a last name first culture everybody. If it means I will now be tortured with several replays of his games over the next few months on local TV, so be it. It has to be better than the days when I had to watch him with the Yankees in repetition. They do love this guy. Long I have fielded questions about when or if I thought he was coming back. Something about watching games days old repeatedly I just don’t get.

I’ve said it before, I think the Yankees undervalued him and made a mistake letting rehab the initial injury here in Taiwan on his own. I believe that he would have been back sooner and with the Yankees had they taken better care of him, they could use him now for sure, even if he is a shade less of what he was when he first went down.

You all got a bit goofy about food above. The food here is diverse of many diverse influences. Taiwanese food is Taiwanese and varies quite a bit from region to region and there are staples to be sure. Some are rooted in Japanese and some from China and some still is more Polynesian. To try to say what is Chinese food is a bit like trying to define American food. Is pizza American or Italian, and different in Chicago and San Francisco and New York? Isn’t a burrito American? Same with Taiwanese, it is what it is where ever you are.

Time difference is usually easy, I do get confused with Day Light Savings Time. Here to New York is 12 hours right now, work from there. I do have to think a bit every time I call mom in California.

Anyhoooo, won’t be watching the game live, it will be replayed many too many times in the next week, or until his next start. I will be glad that there will surely be a few less Yankee fans in the ‘hood soon.

Orioles turn AL East on its head