Jul 29, 2011, 6:00 PM EST
Even after getting swept at home in a four-game series by the Mets and falling five games under .500, the Reds won’t be sellers, GM Walt Jocketty said Friday.
Jocketty also worked to dispel the notion that the Reds could trade Ramon Hernandez while trying to stay in the race. According to John Fay, Jocketty said Hernandez offers a greater value for the rest of this year than what the Reds would get in return and that he’d be OK with top prospect Devin Mesoraco staying in Triple-A until September.
The Giants are believed to be very interested in acquiring Hernandez if he’s made available.
If the Reds make a big move, it might be for speedster Michael Bourn. Dusty Baker is just dying for a true leadoff hitter, and while the Reds are set in center field with Drew Stubbs, they could play in Bourn in left. It doesn’t appear that Cincinnati is willing to part with the kind of talent it’d take to land Ubaldo Jimenez.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 60
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 32
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)