Jul 29, 2011, 6:00 PM EST
Even after getting swept at home in a four-game series by the Mets and falling five games under .500, the Reds won’t be sellers, GM Walt Jocketty said Friday.
Jocketty also worked to dispel the notion that the Reds could trade Ramon Hernandez while trying to stay in the race. According to John Fay, Jocketty said Hernandez offers a greater value for the rest of this year than what the Reds would get in return and that he’d be OK with top prospect Devin Mesoraco staying in Triple-A until September.
The Giants are believed to be very interested in acquiring Hernandez if he’s made available.
If the Reds make a big move, it might be for speedster Michael Bourn. Dusty Baker is just dying for a true leadoff hitter, and while the Reds are set in center field with Drew Stubbs, they could play in Bourn in left. It doesn’t appear that Cincinnati is willing to part with the kind of talent it’d take to land Ubaldo Jimenez.
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 129
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 21
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 244
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 25
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (252)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)