Great Moments in T-Ball

Jul 29, 2011, 12:40 PM EDT

Carlo dugout

My son Carlo — that’s him in the Cubbies cap — has spent the last week in a T-ball camp. Pretty low-key thing. Basically, getting 5 and 6-year-olds used to throwing a ball around, listening to coaches and generally having the first clue of what actually happens in a baseball game.  Keeps ‘em off the streets anyway.

I just spent the last hour watching their “game,” which was the culmination of the camp.  It was fun enough.  Coach pitches to them and if they can’t hit it in three tries, they get to smack it off the tee.  Everyone had fun.

Until the ugliness started.

Carlo singled to first.  Then, the next kid hit a bullet. Well, a bullet for a six-year-old, meaning that the ball went past the mound.  Carlo took off from first and rounded second!  But then, realizing he wouldn’t make third, he tried to get back to the bag.  This happened:

source:

Then, as you might expect, this happened:

source:

Carlo Hustle.  I can’t say I’m not a little proud.  But I can’t say I’m not a lot worried.

1. dlevalley - Jul 29, 2011 at 12:50 PM

He’s gritty! He’s a scrapper! Plays the game the right way!

• kopy - Jul 29, 2011 at 12:54 PM

Lots of heart and hustle! A clubhouse leader!

2. trevorb06 - Jul 29, 2011 at 12:50 PM

So what exactly is that pic showing? :-S

• Craig Calcaterra - Jul 29, 2011 at 12:55 PM

Hard tag, Carlo goes down.

• trevorb06 - Jul 29, 2011 at 12:58 PM

That’s what I was thinking. Just make sure he knows that if that’s going to happen at home plate he needs to barrel the catcher over! Also team him to slide spikes out. :-) #sarcasm

• Alex K - Jul 29, 2011 at 1:36 PM

The real question is…..was there fisticuffsmanship?

• bigharold - Jul 29, 2011 at 4:03 PM

“The real question is…..was there fisticuffsmanship?”

The real question is; was Carlo Rose or Harrelson in this little battle of the T-Ball All Stars?

Specifically, can the little fella throw down. It’s bad enough when ones progeny has has pugilistic leanings but it’s far worse if he has them and is in fact not very good at it. I’m mean either way as a father you’re going to worry but if he can handle “his business” than at least you have that piece of mind.

3. umrguy42 - Jul 29, 2011 at 12:51 PM

So long as we don’t see comments from “ccalcaterra3″ talking about how the coach has it in for your son, everything’ll be okay :D

• trevorb06 - Jul 29, 2011 at 1:17 PM

We have a winner

4. royalsfaninfargo - Jul 29, 2011 at 12:53 PM

A Cubs hat? Come on Craig, as Americans it is our God given right to brainwash our children into rooting for our favorite team! That should have been a Braves cap :-)! Outside of that, there is nothing better than watching your kids baseball game. Makes you realize why there is a game in the first place.

• Craig Calcaterra - Jul 29, 2011 at 12:57 PM

I decided I wouldn’t brainwash him, so when it came time for him to get his first cap, I pulled up a pic of every team cap and let him pick the one he liked. He gravitated to the Cubs cap because of the C and because it was blue.

He just got a new cap, though: Columbus Clippers. That’ll probably take over here soon. I didn’t let him wear it this week because I didn’t want it getting all filthy yet.

• hasbeen5 - Jul 29, 2011 at 1:38 PM

I’d like to petition for the discontinuation of the use of the word “cap” in reference to baseball head coverings.

• royalsfaninfargo - Jul 29, 2011 at 2:40 PM

That cool Craig. Gotta love the minor league para, there’s nothing better!

• bigharold - Jul 29, 2011 at 4:30 PM

“I decided I wouldn’t brainwash him, …”

Really? As a father of three, two already out of college, may I say that it is your responsibility to brainwash them, .. as quickly and thoroughly as possible before somebody else does.

Remember, the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree and you are going to be blamed for or take credit, depending on circumstances, for them through out your life. So, you might as well get your two cents in while the getting is good. Before you know it they start questioning whether everything you say is correct, smart or even worth listening to at all. At some point they will start to think that you are so unaware, dumb or out of touch that they will wonder just how you manage to find your way home each night.

5. heyblueyoustink - Jul 29, 2011 at 12:55 PM

Hmmmm, so they don’t teach the Albert Belle forearm shiver in tee ball?

6. hittfamily - Jul 29, 2011 at 1:00 PM

Never too early for his first pair of baseball pants. Unless he wants to make the late 70’s Pirates/White Sox (too lazy to look up).

7. largebill - Jul 29, 2011 at 1:00 PM

It is a reasonable tactic. At that age odds of dislodging the ball are pretty good. Speaking of odds, what’s Carlo hearing about tonight’s action? Looking at taking the over in a couple games. If he gives a response that indicates he’s thinking of laying coin on some games then you need to worry about him emulating Pete.

8. Jonny 5 - Jul 29, 2011 at 1:13 PM

AWESOME. 5-6 year olds are quite entertaining. I love the pile up the infielders and outfielders often do trying to be the kid who comes up with the ball like it’s football. I don’t know how many times those little league “games” put a huge smile on this man’s face. Enjoy.

• trevorb06 - Jul 29, 2011 at 3:21 PM

Jonny they have places for people like you. They’re called prisons.
      #sarcasm

• trevorb06 - Jul 29, 2011 at 3:22 PM

Also, if I had the time to youtube right now I’d bring up a Family Guy – Herbert reference… JACKPOT!

9. Lukehart80 - Jul 29, 2011 at 1:15 PM

Carlo and Mookie definitely look like siblings. Also, if he’s drawn to blue and the letter “C,” why not one of the new lids the Tribe has been sporting this year. They’re basically the local big league team and I can tell you first-hand that growing up an Indians’ fan helps build character.

• Craig Calcaterra - Jul 29, 2011 at 1:20 PM

That’s actually the cap I’m sporting at the moment (I wear caps from lots of teams because I like caps, not just Braves caps, and I think the block C tribe hat is sharp as hell). I asked him if he wanted one like that and he just said “nope.”

• Jonny 5 - Jul 29, 2011 at 1:49 PM

A red cap with a P would do him well. It stands for Phantastic, Phenominal, and more importantly to young children, Phanatic.

Of course this may cause some “issues” within the household, so there’s that.

• The Dangerous Mabry - Jul 29, 2011 at 3:43 PM

Consider the Chattanooga Lookouts. http://www.mickeysplace.com/chattanooga-lookouts-road-p-1934.html

It looks good, has the amusingly goofy eyes, it’s blue, it has a “C”, and as a minor league franchise for the Dodgers, I’d imagine they need all the support they can get.

As a huge fan of MiLB, it does my heart good to hear he’s going with the Clippers gear, but their stuff is too “new style” for my tastes.

• 18thstreet - Jul 29, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Best cap in the world: Quad City River Bandits. I love mine.

10. hasbeen5 - Jul 29, 2011 at 1:39 PM

The real question here is did they keep score?

11. rsox3fan - Jul 29, 2011 at 1:49 PM

That kid’s got a nice mop of hair, takes after Mrs C in more ways than just stick up for yourselfdness.

12. sportsdrenched - Jul 29, 2011 at 1:50 PM

I coached a girls T-ball Team earlier in the summer. That’s great stuff. My favorite is watching any given fielder sit down and begin building dirt castles. It was similar to watching the Royals.

13. Chris Fiorentino - Jul 29, 2011 at 1:50 PM

As long as he doesn’t sell out Sonny and get him killed at the toll booth, Carlo should be just fine.

14. 18thstreet - Jul 29, 2011 at 2:45 PM

Once in high school, while complaining about my dad, my mom said, “He went to every last one of your tee-ball games.” Shut me up for the next 20 years.

15. contraryguy - Jul 29, 2011 at 5:30 PM

fun post… reminds me of the time I did a Pete Rose slide as a kid. Still have the scar from the 15 stitches in the leg.

also, don’t let that kid wear the Clippers hat too long, the Tribe will call him up.

16. stackers1 - Jul 29, 2011 at 5:59 PM

Ken Rosenthal just tweeted that the Red Sox are looking at Carlo Calcaterra. Peter Gammons confirms.

17. rsox3fan - Jul 29, 2011 at 6:43 PM

stackers1…………….freaking funny.Yeah but who’s in the trade? Reddick,Colbrin,ohhh wait everyone loves Ryan Lavarneway right now, let’s trade him for young Mister Calcaterra.

18. cur68 - Jul 29, 2011 at 11:05 PM

Late to the show though I am, I would be remiss if I did not tip my Beaver Men’s cap to your lad, Craig. Way to play hard. Also, I’d like to put in yet another pitch for instant replay. Carlo was safe. Ump blew the call. What a disgrace. Has Bud seen this?

Bo Porter just first casualty around MLB