Jul 29, 2011, 12:40 PM EDT
My son Carlo — that’s him in the Cubbies cap — has spent the last week in a T-ball camp. Pretty low-key thing. Basically, getting 5 and 6-year-olds used to throwing a ball around, listening to coaches and generally having the first clue of what actually happens in a baseball game. Keeps ‘em off the streets anyway.
I just spent the last hour watching their “game,” which was the culmination of the camp. It was fun enough. Coach pitches to them and if they can’t hit it in three tries, they get to smack it off the tee. Everyone had fun.
Until the ugliness started.
Carlo singled to first. Then, the next kid hit a bullet. Well, a bullet for a six-year-old, meaning that the ball went past the mound. Carlo took off from first and rounded second! But then, realizing he wouldn’t make third, he tried to get back to the bag. This happened:
Then, as you might expect, this happened:
Carlo Hustle. I can’t say I’m not a little proud. But I can’t say I’m not a lot worried.
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 26
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 43
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)