Jul 29, 2011, 12:40 PM EST
My son Carlo — that’s him in the Cubbies cap — has spent the last week in a T-ball camp. Pretty low-key thing. Basically, getting 5 and 6-year-olds used to throwing a ball around, listening to coaches and generally having the first clue of what actually happens in a baseball game. Keeps ‘em off the streets anyway.
I just spent the last hour watching their “game,” which was the culmination of the camp. It was fun enough. Coach pitches to them and if they can’t hit it in three tries, they get to smack it off the tee. Everyone had fun.
Until the ugliness started.
Carlo singled to first. Then, the next kid hit a bullet. Well, a bullet for a six-year-old, meaning that the ball went past the mound. Carlo took off from first and rounded second! But then, realizing he wouldn’t make third, he tried to get back to the bag. This happened:
Then, as you might expect, this happened:
Carlo Hustle. I can’t say I’m not a little proud. But I can’t say I’m not a lot worried.
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 21
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)