Jul 29, 2011, 8:15 PM EST
The Los Angeles County coroner’s office confirmed to The Associated Press that Hideki Irabu committed suicide by hanging himself.
The 42-year-old former Yankees pitcher dd not leave a note.
Assistant Coroner Chief Ed Winter says a friend found Irabu dead in his home in the Los Angeles suburb of Rancho Palos Verdes on Wednesday afternoon. An autopsy was performed Friday, but the results of toxicology tests won’t be known for 6-8 weeks.
Click below for yesterday’s stories on Irabu:
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 37
- Mark Prior’s retirement reminds us that young pitchers will break your heart 14
- Roy Halladay is retiring 53
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 48
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 61
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)