Jul 29, 2011, 8:15 PM EDT
The Los Angeles County coroner’s office confirmed to The Associated Press that Hideki Irabu committed suicide by hanging himself.
The 42-year-old former Yankees pitcher dd not leave a note.
Assistant Coroner Chief Ed Winter says a friend found Irabu dead in his home in the Los Angeles suburb of Rancho Palos Verdes on Wednesday afternoon. An autopsy was performed Friday, but the results of toxicology tests won’t be known for 6-8 weeks.
Click below for yesterday’s stories on Irabu:
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 38
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 10
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 4
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 61
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 78
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)