Jul 29, 2011, 8:15 PM EDT
The Los Angeles County coroner’s office confirmed to The Associated Press that Hideki Irabu committed suicide by hanging himself.
The 42-year-old former Yankees pitcher dd not leave a note.
Assistant Coroner Chief Ed Winter says a friend found Irabu dead in his home in the Los Angeles suburb of Rancho Palos Verdes on Wednesday afternoon. An autopsy was performed Friday, but the results of toxicology tests won’t be known for 6-8 weeks.
Click below for yesterday’s stories on Irabu:
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 32
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 40
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)