Jul 29, 2011, 8:15 PM EDT
The Los Angeles County coroner’s office confirmed to The Associated Press that Hideki Irabu committed suicide by hanging himself.
The 42-year-old former Yankees pitcher dd not leave a note.
Assistant Coroner Chief Ed Winter says a friend found Irabu dead in his home in the Los Angeles suburb of Rancho Palos Verdes on Wednesday afternoon. An autopsy was performed Friday, but the results of toxicology tests won’t be known for 6-8 weeks.
Click below for yesterday’s stories on Irabu:
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 19
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 20
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 35
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 19
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 79
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 84
- Reds beat Pirates behind Johnny Cueto, hand National League Central title to St. Louis 20
- Video: Steven Souza Jr. makes sensational catch to secure Jordan Zimmermann’s no-no 24
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (84)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (80)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (79)