Jul 29, 2011, 8:15 PM EDT
The Los Angeles County coroner’s office confirmed to The Associated Press that Hideki Irabu committed suicide by hanging himself.
The 42-year-old former Yankees pitcher dd not leave a note.
Assistant Coroner Chief Ed Winter says a friend found Irabu dead in his home in the Los Angeles suburb of Rancho Palos Verdes on Wednesday afternoon. An autopsy was performed Friday, but the results of toxicology tests won’t be known for 6-8 weeks.
Click below for yesterday’s stories on Irabu:
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 10
- Report: Cubs calling up prospect infielder Addison Russell 14
- Jonathan Lucroy headed to disabled list with broken toe 8
- Reds manager Bryan Price goes on profanity-laden tirade against media 57
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 75
- Report: Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the hot seat 41
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 88
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 14
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (129)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (111)